Mountain Mist Scarf
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Reminiscent of a soft morning mist, this Mountain Mist Scarf is made from a combination of knitting techniques and color blocks. With a gradual transition from green to blue, this lovely knit scarf pattern is perfect for any time of year. Thick enough to keep you warm in the summer and light enough to add some color to a nice summer evening outfit, this knit scarf is great for men and women alike and makes a fun and easy project for a beginning knitter.
The best thing about this free scarf knitting pattern is that is uses 5 different colors of yarn, making it a great stash buster. Plus, with all of those colors in one scarf pattern, your final product is sure to match plenty of pieces in your wardrobe. If you prefer simpler scarf tutorials, you could easily make this in just one color or two colors for a checkerboard effect.
You can find this project, and many more just like it, in our new free eBook, 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners!
Knit the Mountain Mist Scarf Pattern for Knitting
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar ’n Cream® (Solids: 70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds) in Country Green (A)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar ’n Cream® (Solids: 70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds) in Sage Green (B)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar ’n Cream® (Solids: 70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds) in Mod Green (C)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar ’n Cream® (Solids: 70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds) in Mod Blue (D)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar ’n Cream® (Solids: 70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds) in Robin's Egg (E)
- Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Large eye blunt needle
Gauge: 19 stitches and 32 rows = 4 inches [10 centimeters] in garter stitch.
Approximately 8 x 72 inches [20.5 x 183 centimeters].
Make 5 Solid Squares, 1 each in Contrast A, B, C, D and E.
- Cast on 38 stitches.
- 1st row: (Wrong side). Knit.
- 2nd row: (Right side). Knit.
- Repeat these 2 rows for garter stitch pattern. Continue in pattern as established until work from beginning measures 8 inches [20.5 centimeters], ending with a Right side (2nd) row.
- Cast off knitwise (Wrong side).
- Weave in ends.
- Make 4 Stripped Squares in the following color combinations:
- 1 using A as Contrast A and B as Contrast B.
- 1 using B as Contrast A and C as Contrast B.
- 1 using C as Contrast A and D as Contrast B.
- 1 using D as Contrast A and E as Contrast B.
To change colors, simply drop previous color and begin knitting with new color.
When joining a new color for the fi rst time, leave a tail approximately 4 inches [10 centimeters] long to ensure you are left with enough yarn to weave in your end.
When working narrow stripes as given below, do not cut your yarn when changing colors. Simply allow the color not in use to be drawn up loosely along the side of your work.
- With A, cast on 38 stitches.
- 1st row: (Wrong side). With A, knit.
- Proceed in Stripe pattern as follows:
- 1st row: (Right side). With B, knit.
- 2nd row: With B, knit.
- 3rd row: With A, knit.
- 4th row: With A, knit.
These 4 rows form Stripe pattern.
- Continue in pattern as established until work from beginning measures 8 inches [20.5 centimeters], ending with a Right side (1st or 3rd) row.
- With same color as previous row, cast off knitwise (Wrong side).
- Weave in ends.
- Sew squares together using a fl at seam as shown in Diagram, noting striped squares will be placed sideways.
Find even more free knit scarf patterns to love in our extensive collection of gorgeous knitting patterns, 59 Free Scarf Knitting Patterns.This gorgeous collection contains cowls, simple scarves, and more intricate, intermediate patterns.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- W. Cushing & Co.
- Cute Crochet Doll
- 45 Quick and Easy Free Knitting Patterns and Beginner Help
- Pastel Peaks Crochet Baby Hat Pattern
- Recycled Crowns from Foil Wrapping Paper
- DIY Butterfly Valentine's Day Card Box Holder
- 44 Easy Craft Projects For Adults
- Quick and Easy DIY Label
- Block Stitch Bun Hat Pattern
- Terrarium in a Mason Jar Gift Idea