Felted Scarf with Crochet Edge and Fringe
By: Treva McCain for Caron Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This easy scarf knitting pattern has some interesting twists. The scarf is felted after knitting and then a crochet edge and corkscrew fringe are added. This scarf is great for crafters that want to use all their skills.
- Caron International's Felt-It! (100% wool; 1.76 oz/50 g, 93 yd/85 m ball): 4 balls A
- Caron International's Simply Soft Heather (100% Acrylic; 5 oz/141.8 g, 250 yds/228 m skein): 1 skein B Shown in: #0007 Evening Mist (A); #9505 Plum Heather (B)
- One pair size US 11 (8 mm) knitting needles, or size to obtain gauge
- One size US I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Small leather hole punch—2.5 mm or less, or US 1 (2.25 mm) or US 2 (2.75 mm) knitting needle
Finished Size: Knitted piece will shrink approximately 30% horizontally and 50% vertically. If you wish your scarf to be thinner/wider or shorter/longer, adjust accordingly.
Scarf measures approximately 8"/20.5 cm wide x 96"/244 cm long before felting;
Scarf measures approximately 5 1/2"/14 cm wide x 50"/127 cm long after felting, excluding fringe
Gauge: In Stockinette stitch, using knitting needles and A, 15 sts and 15 rows = 4"/10 cm, before felting
With knitting needles and A, cast on 30 sts.
Row 1: K2, p26, k2.
Row 2: Knit.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until you have used all 4 balls of A, leaving a 48"/122 cm tail for bind off. Bind off. Weave in ends.
Felting: Place scarf in mesh sweater bag or pillowcase and close. Using hottest possible waterand approximately 2 tablespoons (one capful) liquid soap, fill washer 1/3 full. Place scarf in washer with an old pair of jeans (for agitation). Agitate for 6 minutes. Check the felting progress every minute after 6 minutes; depending on your washer, it will take 6 – 8 minutes of agitation to felt the desired amount. When scarf measures approximately 6"/15 cm wide, remove it from the washer and drain wash water from machine; gently squeeze water from piece. Fill washer to the same water level with cold water. Place piece into washer and rinse/agitate for another minute – the cold water will make the scarf felt just a bit more. Set machine to drain, then run spin cycle for approximately 30 seconds - creases caused by over spinning are difficult to remove from the finished piece. Remove scarf, gently stretching into shape, if needed. You may find it helpful to lay scarf on a couple of bath towels, rolling them up to remove excess water. Lay scarf flat to dry. Drying process may take up to 2 days, depending on humidity in the air.
With hole punch or US size 1 (2.25 mm) or 2 (2.75 mm) knitting needle, make a hole at one corner of scarf, 3/8"/1 cm from each edge. Continue to make holes 3/8"/1 cm from the edge and 1/2"/1.5 cm apart (it is best to only make 8 to 10 holes at a time, work into those, then make additional holes). Using crochet hook, join B with sc in first corner hole, (ch 1, sc, ch 1, sc) in same corner hole, ch 1, *sc in next hole, ch 1; repeat from * to next corner, (sc, ch 1, sc, ch 1, sc) in corner hole, ch 1; repeat from * around scarf; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Place markers in center sc of each corner. Place 5 more markers evenly spaced between the corner markers, along each short edge of scarf (approximately 3/4"/2 cm apart).
Fringe Row: Join B in center sc of corner to work along short edge, ch 22, 2 hdc in third ch from hook, 3 hdc in next 19 ch (fringe made), *sc in each sc and ch-1 space to next marker, ch 22, 2 hdc in third ch from hook, 3 hdc in next 19 ch; repeat from * across short edge. Fasten off.
Repeat Fringe Row on opposite short edge.
Using yarn needle, weave in all ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Summer Bookmark Coloring Pages
- Summer Lovin' Coloring Page
- Floral Web Coloring Page
- Candy Jar Coloring Page
- Motivational Mandala Coloring Pages
- Grateful and Blessed Coloring Page
- Cup of Tea Coloring Page
- Vintage Typewriter Coloring Page
- Stencil Ease Vintage Design DIY Side Table Video
- Valentine's Day Heart Box