Sugar Twist Knit Hat
By: Tina Melvin for Life in the Round
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This sugar twist hat is named for its close resemblance to sugary cotton candy! This free knitting pattern is the sweetest way to cozy up this winter. Make gifts for your friends or simply sport it yourself.
- Malabrigo Gruesa (100% Wool; 3.5 oz; 65 yds)
- #100 Rosa Viejo, 2 skeins (if you make a smaller version you could get away with 1 skein)
- Needles: 1 set US 10 (6.0mm) dpns & one 16 in. circular needle
- Cable needle
- Stitch markers,
- Tapestry needle
10 sts & 18 rows = 4 in. in reverse stockinette st (that's where the right side of the work is the purl side, just in case ;)
Size: this fits 21 in. head nice and snug; any adjustments to the stitch count will alter the look of the cable, but if you do need to add or subtract stitches, I would do that evenly throughout the purl sections.
Note: Pattern edited to make the hat longer. If you have short/thin hair, go with the fewer rows. If you have long/thick hair, definitely add the extra rows.
CO 60 sts.
Place marker(pm) and join yarn (and yes, be careful not to twist), then K2, p2 across all sts. Repeat for 4 rows total.
Row 1: P10, pm, K10, pm; repeat to end of row
Row 2: P10, slip marker (sm), K10, sm; repeat to end of row
Repeat Row 2 eight/ten more times.
Cable Row: *P10, slip 5 st to cable needle(cn), hold in front of work, K5 sts, K5 sts from cn; repeat from * to end of row.
Repeat Row 2 for ten rows.
Row 1: P8, P2tog, sm, K8, SSK, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 2: P9, sm, K9, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 3: P7, P2tog, sm, K7, SSK, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 4: P8, sm, K8, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 5: P2tog, P to 2 st before m, P2tog, sm K2tog, K to 2 st before m, SSK, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 6: Purl the purls, knit the knits ;)
Row 7: Repeat Row 5
Row 8: Repeat Row 6
Row 9: P2tog twice, K2tog, SSK; repeat to end of row.
Row 10: Repeat Row 6
Row 11: P2tog, K2tog; repeat to end of row.
Break yarn and weave in ends. Wear with love!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Wooden Necklace Organizer
- Framed Earring Organizer
- Teacher Appreciation Printable Art
- Happiest DIY Office Curtains
- Inspired Charms Crochet Bracelet
- Flowery Front Door Recycled Craft
- Two Hues Crochet Baby Blanket
- Panda Crochet Wrap Pattern
- My Wonderful Walls
- Girls Gathered Dress Free Sewing Pattern