Snowboarder Hat Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This free hat knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns creates a snowboarder-style hat with dangling ties. Hits the slopes with this hat or knit one for a fun-loving friend.
- Yarn: 1 ball of Bernat Super Value (197 g/7oz) Main Color (MC) (07483 Walnut), 1 ball Contrast A (00616 Peacock)
- Knitting Needles: Size 5 mm (U.S. 8) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Crochet Hook: Size 5 mm (U.S. H or 8) crochet hook.
Gauge: 18 sts and 24 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
First Ear Flap: **With MC, cast on 5 sts. 1st row: (RS). Knit. Beg with a purl row, cont in stocking st inc 1 st each end of next and every row until there are 21 sts. Purl 1 row.
Inc 1 st each end of next and following alt row. 25 sts.**
Purl 1 row. Break yarn. Leave sts on a spare needle.
Second Ear Flap: Work from ** to ** as given for First Ear Flap. Do not break yarn.
Join Ear Flaps: Turn work and cast on 19 sts. Turn back and knit across 25 sts from First Ear Flap. Turn work and cast on 8 sts. 77 sts.
Next row: Purl.
Next row: Cast on 8 sts and knit across all sts. 85 sts.
Cont even until work from last cast on edge measures 3¾ ins [9.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape top: Next row: K1. *K2tog. K10. Rep from * to end of row.
Work 3 rows even.
Next row: K1. *K2tog. K9. Rep from * to end of row.
Work 3 rows even.
Next row: K1. *K2tog. K8. Rep from * to end of row.
Purl 1 row. Cont in this manner, decreasing 7 sts evenly across next and following alt rows until there are 15 sts.
Next row: P1. *P2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 8 sts.
Break yarn leaving a long end. Draw end tightly through rem sts. Sew center back seam.
Edging: With RS facing and crochet hook, join A with sl st at center back seam. Ch 1. Work 1 row of sc evenly around outer edge of Hat. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
Ties: With RS facing and crochet hook, join 2 strands of A with sl st in center sc at base of Ear Flap. Make a chain 12½ ins [32 cm] long. Fasten off.
Tassels: Cut a piece of cardboard 3½ ins [9 cm] wide. Wind A around cardboard 20 times. Break yarn, leaving a long end and thread through a tapestry needle. Slip needle through all loops on the cardboard and tie tightly at one end. Slip off cardboard and wind yarn several times around the loops ¾ inch [2 cm] below fold. Draw needle through top and sew tassel to end of Tie. Cut through other fold and trim evenly.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Adorable Chunky Pom Knit Toddler Hat Pattern
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Gray Knit Scarf Set for Men
- Pink Cabled Hat and Scarf
- Quick and Easy Knit in the Round Hat
- Cable Knit Scarf and Hat
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- 12 Easter Egg Ideas & Easter Crafts for Adults