Snowboarder Hat Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This free hat knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns creates a snowboarder-style hat with dangling ties. Hits the slopes with this hat or knit one for a fun-loving friend.
- Yarn: 1 ball of Bernat Super Value (197 g/7oz) Main Color (MC) (07483 Walnut), 1 ball Contrast A (00616 Peacock)
- Knitting Needles: Size 5 mm (U.S. 8) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Crochet Hook: Size 5 mm (U.S. H or 8) crochet hook.
Gauge: 18 sts and 24 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
First Ear Flap: **With MC, cast on 5 sts. 1st row: (RS). Knit. Beg with a purl row, cont in stocking st inc 1 st each end of next and every row until there are 21 sts. Purl 1 row.
Inc 1 st each end of next and following alt row. 25 sts.**
Purl 1 row. Break yarn. Leave sts on a spare needle.
Second Ear Flap: Work from ** to ** as given for First Ear Flap. Do not break yarn.
Join Ear Flaps: Turn work and cast on 19 sts. Turn back and knit across 25 sts from First Ear Flap. Turn work and cast on 8 sts. 77 sts.
Next row: Purl.
Next row: Cast on 8 sts and knit across all sts. 85 sts.
Cont even until work from last cast on edge measures 3¾ ins [9.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape top: Next row: K1. *K2tog. K10. Rep from * to end of row.
Work 3 rows even.
Next row: K1. *K2tog. K9. Rep from * to end of row.
Work 3 rows even.
Next row: K1. *K2tog. K8. Rep from * to end of row.
Purl 1 row. Cont in this manner, decreasing 7 sts evenly across next and following alt rows until there are 15 sts.
Next row: P1. *P2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 8 sts.
Break yarn leaving a long end. Draw end tightly through rem sts. Sew center back seam.
Edging: With RS facing and crochet hook, join A with sl st at center back seam. Ch 1. Work 1 row of sc evenly around outer edge of Hat. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
Ties: With RS facing and crochet hook, join 2 strands of A with sl st in center sc at base of Ear Flap. Make a chain 12½ ins [32 cm] long. Fasten off.
Tassels: Cut a piece of cardboard 3½ ins [9 cm] wide. Wind A around cardboard 20 times. Break yarn, leaving a long end and thread through a tapestry needle. Slip needle through all loops on the cardboard and tie tightly at one end. Slip off cardboard and wind yarn several times around the loops ¾ inch [2 cm] below fold. Draw needle through top and sew tassel to end of Tie. Cut through other fold and trim evenly.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Pink Cabled Hat and Scarf
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Cable Knit Scarf and Hat
- Gray Knit Scarf Set for Men
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Vintage Tie Up Headband Knitting Pattern
- Honeycomb Knit Hat & Cowl
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Marvy Uchida Color In Markers Review
- Balance Focus DIY Postcards
- Energizing Mandala Printables
- Washi Tape Coloring Sheet
- Healing Hearts Coloring Page
- Peacock Printable Coloring Page
- Merry Tree Adult Coloring Page
- Easy Christmas Paper Sock
- Pom Pom DIY Christmas Tree
- Merry Popsicle Stick Ornament