Elsie's Knit Pumpkin Hat
By: Maddy Cranley from MaddyCraft
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit this adorable orange pumpkin hat for the fall season. It's great for Halloween with its stem and leaves. This free knitting pattern is great for any child!
(2-4), (4-6) yrs
Instructions are for the smaller size with a larger size in parentheses. If only one figure is given, it applies to all sizes. An (0) indicates the instruction does not apply to that size.
Hat circumference 16 (18½)”/40.5 (47) cm
- Small amounts of additional yarn in DK weight yarn (22 sts = 4"/10cm) in two contrast colors (CC) for stem and leaves.
- Chunky weight yarn (MC)
- 110 (130)yd/100 (120)m
- One pair each sizes 5.5mm (US9/CAN5) and 4mm (US6/ CAN8) needles, size 4mm (US6/CAN8) double-pointed needes, OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE, row counter.
15 sts x 20 rows = 4"/10cm over st st using larger needles.
PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE BEFORE BEGINNING.
Knit into front and back of stitch to make one stitch.
Slip 1, knit 1, pass slip stitch over¯1 st decreased.
Slip 2 stitches knitwise, one at a time to right-hand needle.
Insert tip of left-hand needle into the front of these two
stitches from left to right, and knit the 2 stitches together¯1
Row 1 *K4. Do not turn. Slide stitches to right end of needle.
Rep from *.
CC contrast color
MC main color
st st stocking(stockinette) stitch
psso pass slip stitch over
WIth larger needles and MC, cast on 61 (71) sts. Work even in st st until piece measures 6 (7)"/15 (18)cm from beg, ending with a WS row.
Row 1 (RS) *K1, SKP, k6 (8), k2tog, k1; rep from * 4 times more, end k1—51 (61) sts. Row 2 Purl. Row 3 *K1, SKP, k4 (6), k2tog, k1; rep from * 4 times more, end k1—41 (51) sts. Row 4 Purl. Cont to dec in this manner every other row, having 2 sts less beween decrease stitches every RS row, 2 (3) times more—21 sts. Next row (WS) Purl. Next row (RS) *K1, SKP, k1; rep from * 4 times more, end k1—16 sts. Purl one row. Next row (RS) *K2tog; rep from * to end—8 sts. Next row (WS) *P2tog; rep from * to end—4 sts. Cut Col A, leaving a length for sewing side seam
Transfer rem 4 sts of top of hat to a dp needle. Join CC yarn and work I-Cord for 5cm /1". Bind off all sts. Sew back seamof hat.
With a CC yarn and smaller needles, cast on 5 sts.
Row 1 (RS) K2, yo, k1, yo, k2—7 sts.
Row 2 and every WS row Purl.
Row 3 K3, yo, k1, yo, k3—9 sts.
Row 5 Ssk, k5, k2tog—7 sts.
Row 7 Ssk, k3, k2tog—5 sts.
Row 9 Ssk, k1, k2tog—3 sts.
Row 11 Sl 1, k2tog, psso—1 st.
Fasten off. Sew leaves at base of stem
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Summer Bookmark Coloring Pages
- Summer Lovin' Coloring Page
- Floral Web Coloring Page
- Candy Jar Coloring Page
- Motivational Mandala Coloring Pages
- Grateful and Blessed Coloring Page
- Cup of Tea Coloring Page
- Vintage Typewriter Coloring Page
- Stencil Ease Vintage Design DIY Side Table Video
- Valentine's Day Heart Box