Diagonal Hat and Scarf Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This unique hat and scarf set from Bernat Yarns is knit diagonally and finished off with fun pom-poms. This hat and scarf knitting pattern can be adapted to adults or children.
- Yarn: Bernat Softee Chunky (Solids: 100 g/3.5 oz) or Bernat Softee Chunky (Ombres: 80 g/2.8 oz)
Hat: Solids: 1 (1-2) ball(s) or Ombres: 1 (2-2) ball(s)
Scarf: MC -Solids: 1 (1-2) ball(s) or Ombres: 1 (2-2) ball(s). A -Solids: 1 (2-2) ball(s) or Ombres: 1 (2-3) ball(s).
- Knitting needles: Size 6 mm (U.S. 10) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
Gauge: 13 sts and 24 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in garter st.
Hat: To fit 2/4 yrs (6/8 yrs-Adult).
Scarf: 5 (7-9) ins [12.5 (18-23) cm] wide x 36 (48-60) ins [91.5 (122-152.5) cm] long.
With MC, cast on 21 (31-41) sts.
**1st row: (WS). Knit.
2nd row: (RS). K1. M1. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
3rd and 4th rows: Knit.
5th row: Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last st. M1. K1.
6th row: Knit.
These 6 rows form Diagonal Pat.**
Change to A and rep last 6 rows twice more. Last 18 rows form Stripe Pat.
Cont in Diagonal Pat, keeping cont of Stripe Pat until 18 rows of Stripe Pat have been worked 12 (16-20) times. Cast off knitwise.
Tassel (make 2)
Cut a piece of cardboard 6 ins [15 cm] wide. Wind 1 strand each of MC and A around cardboard 20 times. Break yarn leaving a long end and thread end through a needle. Slip needle through all loops and tie tightly. Remove cardboard and wind yarn tightly around loops 1 inch [2.5 cm] below fold. Fasten securely. Cut through rem loops and trim ends evenly. Attach one tassel to each point at both ends of Scarf.
Note: Hat has been sized to allow for stretch.
Cast on 35 (41-51) sts.
Work from ** to ** as given for Scarf until side of work measures 16 (17-18) ins [40.5 (43-45.5) cm], ending on a 3rd or 6th row of Diagonal Pat. Cast off knitwise.
Sew cast on and cast off edges tog. Using a running st, stitch around hat 2 ins [5 cm] down from upper edge of Hat. Pull to gather for top of Hat. Fasten securely.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Vintage Tie Up Headband Knitting Pattern
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Gray Knit Scarf Set for Men
- Elsie's Knit Pumpkin Hat
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Double Knit Hat with Earflaps
- Pink Cabled Hat and Scarf
- Quick and Easy Knit in the Round Hat
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft
- Faux Fur DIY Wall Hangings
- Marquee Light DIY Desk Decor
- Blushing Peony DIY Christmas Ornaments
- Color Blocked DIY Christmas Trees
- Easy Beaded DIY Christmas Garland
- Julie Shawl Crochet Pattern
- DIY Fall Wreath
- DIY Halloween Spiders Tutorial