Chunky Mittens Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Use double-pointed knitting needles and this free mittens knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns to create a chunky pair of mittens with contrast stripe. Make an extra pair just in case!
- Yarn: Bernat Softee Chunky (100 g/3.5 oz)Main Color (MC) 2 balls, Bernat Eye Lash (50 g/1.75 oz) Contrast A 2 balls
- Knitting Needles: Set of four size 6 mm (U.S. 10) double pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
Gauge: 14½ sts and 20 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st with 1 strand each MC and A.
Mittens (make 2 alike)
With MC and set of four needles, cast on 30 sts. Divide sts on 3 needles, 10 sts on each needle. Join in rnd. Mark first st with contrast thread.
Work 3 rnds in (K1. P1) ribbing.
Join A. Holding 1 strand each of MC and A tog, knit 14 rnds.
Shape thumb gusset: 1st rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. Knit to end of rnd.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in next st. K2. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
5th rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in next st. K4. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
7th rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in next st. K6. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd. 38 sts.
8th rnd: Knit.
9th rnd: K24. Slip last 10 sts onto safety pin (thumb opening). Knit to end of rnd.
10th rnd: Knit, casting on 2 sts over slipped sts. 30 sts.
Knit in rnds until work from beg measures 9 ins [23 cm].
Rearrange sts as follows: 15 sts on 1st needle. 7 sts on 2nd needle. 8 sts on 3rd needle.
Shape Top: 1st rnd: 1st needle: Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
2nd needle: Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to end of needle.
3rd needle: Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
Dec 4 sts every rnd, as before, until there are 6 sts. Break A and MC, leaving a long end of MC.
Thread end of MC through rem 6 sts. Draw up and fasten securely.
Thumb: With one strand each of MC and A, K10 from safety pin. Pick up and knit 2 sts at base of thumb. Divide these 12 sts onto 3 needles. Knit 10 rnds even.
Next rnd: (K2tog) 6 times.
Next rnd: (K2tog) 3 times.
Break A and MC, leaving a long end of MC. Thread end of MC through rem 3 sts. Draw up and fasten securely.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens
- Beginner Montgomery Fingerless Mitts
- Mittens for the Whole Family
- Chunky Mittens Knitting Pattern
- Boucle Mittens and Matching Beret
- Guest Knitting Pattern: Roman Holiday Fingerless Mittens
- Quick Adorable Fingerless Gloves
- Fingerless Cable Gloves
- Fingerless Gloves
- Lettuce Green Arm Warmers
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Trash Origami
- Adult Coloring Books
- Knotted Spiral Accent Pillow
- Candy Cane Christmas Scarf Pattern
- Mummy Mason Jar Luminary
- 15 Easy Craft Ideas, Genius Tips and DIY Projects
- Horseshoe Slouchy Cable Hat
- Yarn Wrapped Bangle
- Always Kiss Me At Midnight Cowl
- Foil Monogram Notebook