Simple Knit Turtleneck
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This simple knit turtleneck sweater from Bernat Yarns is a staple in every woman's closet. For all skill levels, this is a must-knit free pattern!
- Bernat Super Value (Solids: 197 g/7 oz)
- 3 (3-3-4-4-4) balls
- or (Ombres: 142 g/5 oz)
- 4 (4-4-6-6-6) balls
- or Bernat Berella "4"
- (Solids: 100 g/3.5 oz)
- 5 (6-6-7-8-8) balls
- or (Ombres: 85 g/3 oz)
- 6 (7-7-8-9-10) balls
- Knitting Needles: sizes 4.5 (U.S. 7) and 5 mm (U.S. 8) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 2 st holders.
28/34 (36/38-40/42-44/46-48/54-56/62) ins
[71/86.5 (91.5/96.5-101.5/106.5-112/117-122/137-142/157.5) cm].
35 (40-44-49-56-65) ins
[89 (101.5-112-124.5-142-165) cm].
18 sts and 24 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
**With smaller needles, cast on 78 (90-98-110-126-146) sts.
1st row: (RS). P2. *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: K2. *P2. K2. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows of (K2. P2) ribbing until work from beg measures 3 ins [7.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 12 ins [30.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape armholes: Cast off 3 (4-6-7-9-11) sts beg of next 2 rows. 72 (82-86-96-108-124) sts.
Dec 1 st at each end of needle on next 3 (3-3-5-11-15) rows, then every following alt row to 54 (58-62-64-66-70) sts.**
Cont even until armhole measures 8 (8-8½-9-10-11) ins [20.5 (20.5-21.5-23-25.5-28) cm], ending with a purl row.
Shoulders: Cast off 12 (13-15-15-15-16) sts beg of next 2 rows. Leave rem 30 (32-32-34-36-38) sts on a st holder.
Work from ** to ** as given for Back. Cont even until armhole measures 5 (5-5-5½-6-7) ins [12.5 (12.5-12.5-14-15-18) cm], ending with a purl row.
Neck shaping: Next row: (RS). K18 (19-21-21-21-22) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle.
Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 2 rows, then every following alt row to 12 (13-15-15-15-16) sts. Cont even until Front measures same length as Back to beg of shoulder, ending with a purl row. Cast off.
With RS facing, miss next 18 (20-20-22-24-26) sts. Join yarn to rem sts and knit to end of row. Work as given for left side.
With smaller needles, cast on 38 (38-42-42-42-46) sts.
Work 3 ins [7.5 cm] in (K2. P2) ribbing as given for Back, ending with WS row.
Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st, inc 1 st at each end of needle, on 5th and every following 6th (6th-6th-4th-4th-2nd) row to 44 (46-64-48-74-52) sts, then following 8th (8th-8th-6th-6th-4th) rows to 58 (60-68-70-78-86) sts.
Cont even until sleeve from beg measures 18 ins [45.5 cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape top: Cast off 2 (2-4-4-6-6) sts beg next 2 rows. 54 (56-60-62-66-74) sts.
Dec 1 st each end of needle on next and every following alt row to 32 (36-44-40-36-44) sts, then every row to 8 sts. Cast off.
FINISHING: Pin garment pieces to measurements and cover with a damp cloth, leaving cloth to dry.
Collar: Sew right shoulder seam. With RS of work facing and smaller needles, pick up and knit 21 (21-21-23-25-25) sts down left Front neck edge. K18 (20-20-22-24-26) from front st holder. Pick up and knit 21 (21-21-23-25-25) sts up right front neck edge. K30 (32-32-34-36-38) from Back st holder. 90 (94-94-102-110-114) sts.
Work in (K2. P2) ribbing, as given for Back for 7 ins [18 cm], ending with WS row. Cast off in rib.
Sew left shoulder and Collar seams, reversing last 4 ins [10 cm] for turn back.
Sew in Sleeves. Sew side and sleeve seams.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Abstract Coloring Pages for Kids
- Spring Buggies Coloring Pages
- Elegant Rose Zentangle Coloring Page
- Zebra Zentangle Coloring Page
- Butterfly Zentangle Coloring Page
- Lion Zentangle Coloring Page
- Giraffe Zentangle Coloring Page
- Ladybug Zentangle Coloring Page
- Bald Eagle Zentangle Coloring Page
- Valentine Train Coloring Pages