This easy knitting project from Lily Sugar n' Cream is knit in two pieces and finished off with a blanket stitch in the alternate shade, giving the Thanks Wine Bag an appealing contrast. What better way to show someone you're grateful than by giving them a bottle of booze?
- Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds)
- Main Color (MC) 00084 (Sage Green) 2 balls
- Contrast A 01130 (Warm Brown) 1 ball
- Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge. Stitch holder.
- 20 sts and 26 rows = 4” [10 cm] in stocking st guage
Note: Bag is worked sideways. To change colors, twist the 2 colors around each other where they meet, on WS, to avoid a hole.
- Back and Front (make 2 pieces alike). With A, cast on 5 sts. With MC, cast on 63 sts. 68 sts.
- 1st row: (RS). With MC, K63. With A, K5.
- 2nd row: With A, K5. With MC, P55. K8.
- Rep last 2 rows 3 times more.
- Shape handle: Next row: (RS). With MC, K6. Turn. Leave rem sts on a st holder.
- Cont in garter st (knit every row) across 6 sts until opening measures 3” [7.5 cm], ending with a WS row.
- Leave sts on a spare needle.
- With RS facing, join yarn to rem sts.
- Next row: With MC, Sl1. K56. With A, K5.
- Next row: With A, K5. With MC, P55. K2.
- Rep last 2 rows until opening measures 3” [7.5 cm], ending with a WS row.
- Joining row: (RS). With MC, K6 from st holder. K57. With A, K5.
- 1st row: With A, K5. With MC, P55. K8.
- 2nd row: With MC, K63. With A, K5.
- Rep last 2 rows twice more, then rep 1st row once. Cast off.
- With A, cast on 7 sts.
- 1st row: (WS). K7.
- 2nd row: Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to last 2 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. K1.
- 3rd row: Knit.
- Rep last 2 rows 4 times more. 17 sts.
- Work 9 rows even in garter st.
- Next row: K1. ssk. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1.
- Next row: Knit.
- Rep last 2 rows 4 times more. 7 sts.
- Cast off knitwise.
- With A, embroider Chart (see page 2) onto MC section of Front with duplicate st 4 rows above cast on edge of Front and 3 sts in from color change to A at Base.
- With MC, sew sides of Front and Back tog leaving flat edge. With A, work blanket st embroidery along each side. Sew Base in position.