This cute, knit tote bag, made on a knitting board, is a great project for beginners, from Authentic Knitting Board.
Finished size 10”X8”X4”
Stitch Stockinette throughout
Gauge 3sts=1” 4 rows=1”
FRONT AND BACK OF BAG
- Make (2) pieces for front and back of bag. Front and Back of bag are the same.
- Cast On (30) sts. Do (1) circular (wrap down board and return) in stockinette, then place anchor yarn across sts. (This is done by laying contrasting color yarn between boards with ends dangling at each end.) Do 2nd circular. Now you have (2) wraps on each needle. Hook bottom wrap over top. Your stitches are now cast on.
- Continue in stockinette st for (24) rows.
- Bind off with crochet hook. (Start at end of board without yarn. Slip crochet hook through 1st st, front and back, and 2nd st front. There will be 3 loops on crochet hook. Drag (1) closest to hook thru (2). Pick up next (2) loops.
- Drag (1) thru (2). Continue to end of sts, and your knitted piece is off the board. Pull tail end of yarn thru last loop for a knot.
SIDES OF BAG
- Make (2) Cast On (12) sts. Don’t forget the anchor yarn.
- Continue stockinette for (24) rows
- Bind off with crochet hook.
BOTTOM OF BAG
- Make (1) Cast On (12) sts. Don’t forget the anchor yarn.
- Continue knitting (30) rows.
- Crochet off.
(Hint) If you like a very heavy bottom, You can make this with a double strand of yarn. This will result in very dense, tight knitting)
- Make (2) CO (10) sts. Don’t forget the anchor yarn.
- Knit (32) rows in stockinette stitch.
- Bind off with crochet hook.
SEWING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Finish off all pieces by crocheting the sts at the anchor yarn. Do this same as the top crochet edge. Once the edge is complete, you can pull out the anchor yarns.
- Sew the pieces of bag together in top stitch. Use the matching yarn for sewing. Top stitch is done by laying the (2) pieces together with matching edges. Sew in and out from one side of knitted pieces, as you would do in basting a seam. Take little bites for a nice tight edge. This creates a ridge at the seams, and makes the little bag stand up. Start by sewing the edges of the front and back to the bottom piece, long sides.
- Then, you can sew the ‘short edge of side of bag’ to bag bottom (short side). Then continue up the sides, front and back to sides. This will give you the basic bag.
- Pull all the sewing tails into the bag with crochet hook. By tucking them in between the double knit, they will never be seen.
ADDING THE STRAPS
- Fold each strap lengthwise. Sew long edges together in whip st. (Let your yarn wrap around the top of the edges) This will make an invisible seam.
- Sew one strap to bag front aprox 2” from side seam on each end. Sew the other strap to bag back at same location. This can be sewn with a whip st to top of bag. Tuck all ends into double knit.
- Be sure your top edge of bag is a smooth finish.
- Your little tote bag is ready for service.
OPTION: You may also line the bag with colorful jersey knit, and hand whip the edge of
lining to top of bag. This will make it ready for heavier goods without pulling on the knit.