Stretchy Baby Sweater Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
The best thing about this free baby sweater knitting pattern is that no seaming is required; the easy baby pullover is knit sideways in one piece. Two versions are available for a little boy or girl.
You can find this beginner knit pattern, along with several other easy knitting patterns, in our free eBook, Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns.
- Yarn: 2 balls for each size Bernat® Baby Stretch (80 g /2.8 oz) #30132 (Bendy Blues) OR #30413 (Skipping Rope)
- Knitting Needles: Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) or size needed to obtain gauge. Size 4 mm (U.S. G or 6) crochet hook for neck edging.
Gauge: 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
To fit chest measurement: 12 (18) mos 18 (20) ins
[45.5 (51) cm].
Finished chest: 20 (23) ins [51 (58.5) cm].
The instructions are written for smaller size. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
Note: Garment is worked in one piece sideways from cuff to cuff.
Beg at right cuff, cast on 44 (48) sts. Proceed in stocking st for 4 (5) ins [10 (12.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Place marker at end of last row.
Shape sides: Cast on 32 (38) sts beg next 2 rows. 108 (124) sts. Cont even until work from marker measures 2½ (3¼) ins [6 (8.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape neck: Next row: (RS). K54 (62) (neck edge). Turn. Leave rem sts unworked. Cont even until work from marker measures 5 (5¾) ins [12.5 (14.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Next row: (WS). Cast off 18 (20) sts. Purl to end of row. 36 (42) sts. Next row: Knit to end of row. Cast on 18 (20) sts. 54 (62) sts. Cont even until work from marker measures 7½ (8¼) ins [19 (21) cm], ending with a purl row. Leave these sts on a spare needle.
With RS facing, join yarn to 54 (62) back sts. Cont even until work from marker measures same length as front, ending with a purl row.
Join front and back: Next row: (RS). K54 (62) front sts. K54 (62) back sts. 108 (124) sts. Place a marker at end of last row. Cont even until work from last marker measures 2½ (3¼) ins [6 (8.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
Shape sides: Cast off 32 (38) sts beg next 2 rows. 44 (48) sts at end of 2nd row. Cont even until work from last cast off edge measures 4 (5) ins [10 (12.5) cm], ending with a purl row. Cast off. Sew side and sleeve seams. Fold back cuffs.
Neck edging: With RS facing and crochet hook, join yarn with sl st at corner of neck edge and work sc evenly around neck edge. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
Fold back lapels as shown and sew in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Big Bang Adult Coloring Page
- Perfect Profile Adult Coloring Page
- Geometric Adult Coloring Page
- Big Eyed Owl Adult Coloring Page
- Leo the Lion Adult Coloring Page
- House of Cards Adult Coloring Page
- Yarn Covered Pencil Pot
- Housework Heart
- Embroidered Tray Mats
- Calming Dolphin Adult Coloring Page