Baby Poncho Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
A hooded poncho for the new baby is easy with this baby poncho knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns . The colorful poncho closes with a sweet button at the neck. For 6-24 month babies, you only need 2 balls of yarn.
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Coordinates (160 g/5.6 oz), 6 mos–12 mos–18 mos–24 mos, 2–2–2–2 balls
- Knitting Needles: Sizes 3.75 mm (U.S. 5) and 4 mm (U.S. 6) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 1 button.
Gauge: 22 sts and 30 rows = 4 ins 10 cm with larger needles in stocking st.
Sizes: To fit chest measurement
6 mos 17 ins (43 cm)
12 mos 19 ins (48 cm)
18 mos 21 ins (53.5 cm)
24 mos 21½ ins (54.5 cm)
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
FRONT: With smaller needles, cast on 95 (105-115-125) sts.
Knit 5 rows, noting first row is WS and inc 10 sts evenly across last row. 105 (115-125-135) sts.
Change to larger needles and proceed in pat as follows:
1st row: (RS). K5. P5. K5. Rep from to end of row.
2nd row: K5. Purl to last 5 sts. K5.
3rd and 4th rows: As 1st and 2nd rows.
5th and 6th rows: As 1st row.
7th and 9th rows: Knit.
8th and 10th rows: As 1st row.
These 10 rows form Check Pat.
Cont in Check Pat until work from beg measures 9 (10-11-12) ins 23 (25.5-28-30.5) cm, ending with RS facing for next row.
Divide for front opening: Next row: Pat 52 (57-62-67) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle.
Next row: K2. Pat to end of row.
Next row: Work even in pat.
Rep last 2 rows until work from beg measures 11 (12-13-14) ins 28 (30.5-33-35.5) cm, ending with WS facing for next row.
Neck shaping: Next row: Cast off 6 (6-7-7) sts. Pat to end of row. 46 (51-55-60) sts.
Dec 1 st at neck edge on next and following alt rows to 41 (46-49-54) sts.
Cont even in pat until work from beg measures 13 (14-15-16) ins 33 (35.5-38-40.5) cm, ending with WS facing for next row. Leave all sts on a spare needle. With RS of work facing, join yarn to rem sts. Sl1. K1. psso. Pat to end of row. 52 (57-62-67) sts.
Work Right Side to correspond to Left Side, reversing all shapings.
BACK: Joining row: K5. Pat to end of row. Cast on 23 (23-27-27) sts. Pat across next 36 (41-44-49) sts from spare needle. K5. 105 (115-125-135) sts.
Cont even in pat, until work from joining row measures 5 rows less than Front, ending on a 1st or 5th row of pat and dec 10 sts evenly across last row. 95 (105-115-125) sts.
Change to smaller needles and knit 4 rows. Cast off knitwise (WS).
HOOD: With smaller needles, cast on 89 (89-97-97) sts.
Knit 5 rows (noting first row is WS) and inc 6 (6-8-8) sts evenly across last row. 95 (95-105-105) sts.
Change to larger needles and proceed in pat as given for Front dec 1 st each end of needle on 5th and following alt rows until there are 75 (75-81-81) sts.
Cont even in pat until work from beg measures 6½ (7-7½-8) ins 16.5 (18-19-20.5) cm, ending with RS facing for next row.
Shape back seam: Cast off 7 sts beg next 8 rows. Cast off rem 19 (19-25-25) sts.
FINISHING: Fold Hood in half at back and sew back seam. Sew shaped edge of Hood to neck opening, beg at front opening edge and matching back seam of Hood to center back neck edge.
Button loop: With smaller needles, cast on 16 sts. Cast off. Fold loop in half and sew in position. Sew button to correspond to loop.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Purple Beginner Shawl
- Recycled T-Shirt Quilt Pattern
- Shawl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Stunning Leather Trimmed Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Knit Look Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Bean Stitch Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Plush Basketweave Baby Blanket Pattern
- "18 Projects Every Crafter Wants" free eBook
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft