Egg Cozy Chick Family
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Crochet a set of four chick egg cozies, a full family each complete with a different hat, to adorn your spring table. These cute crochet chicks from Red Heart would be perfect for an Easter brunch. These crochet egg cozies are functional and a fun way to decorate.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Designer Sport™”: 1 ball each 3215 Lemon Zest A, 3261 Terra Cotta B, 3570 Iced Violet C, 3620 Celadon D, 3801 Aqua Ice E, 3730 Blush Rose F and 3369 Cocoa G.
- Crochet Hook: 3.5mm [US E-4].
- Split lock stitch marker
- yarn needle
- poly-fill stuffing
Size: Cozy stands about 3½” tall.
Gauge: 4 sts = 1”; 5 rnds = 1” in sc. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
inc (increase) = 2 sc in next sc.
dec (decrease) = draw up a loop in next 2 sc, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
Note: Work in continuous rounds without joining. Mark first st of the round; move marker up each round.
CHICK (Make 4)
Head-Rnd 1: With A, ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: [Inc] 6 times – 12 sc.
Rnd 3: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 4: [Sc in next 3 sc, inc] 3 times – 15 sc.
Rnd 5: [Sc in next 4 sc, inc] 3 times – 18 sc.
Rnds 6 and 7: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 8: [Sc in next sc, dec] 6 times – 12 sc.
Neck-Rnd 9: [Dec] 6 times – 6 sc.
Rnd 10: Working in front loops only on this rnd, inc in each st around – 12 sc.
Body-Rnds 11 and 12: Repeat Rnds 4 and 5 – 18 sc.
Rnd 13: [Sc in next 5 sc, inc] 3 times – 21 sc.
Rnds 14-16: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 17: [Sc in next 6 sc, inc] 3 times – 24 sc.
Rnds 18 and 19: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Stuff head section only and sew the opening inside the neck closed.
Wing (Make 8)
Rnd 1: With A ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: [Sc in next 2 sc, inc] twice – 8 sc.
Rnds 3-5: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Do not stuff.
Hold flat and sew in place as pictured.
Foot (Make 8)
Row 1: With B ch 5; slip st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, dc in last ch; turn.
Row 2: Ch 2, dc in dc, hdc in hdc, sc in sc, slip st in slip st.
Fasten off. Sew in place as pictured.
Tail (Make 4)
With A [ch 9, slip st in 2nd ch from hook and in next 7 ch] 3 times; join to first slip st with a slip st. Fasten off. Sew in place at lower edge of back.
Beak (Make 4)
Rnd 1: With B ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Sew in place as pictured. Embroider French knot eyes above beak with G.
Baby Bonnet (Make 1)
Row 1: With C ch 10; sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 7 ch, 3 sc in last ch, working on opposite side of ch, sc in next 8 ch; turn – 19 sc.
Rows 2-6: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
Brim-Row 7: Working in back loops only, slip st in next sc, [3 sc in next sc, slip st in next sc] 9 times. Fasten off. Sew in place.
Father’s Hat (Make 1)
Rnd 1: With G ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: [Inc] 6 times – 12 sc.
Rnd 3: [Sc in next sc, inc] 6 times – 18 sc.
Rnd 4: Working in back loops only, sc in each sc around.
Rnd 5: Working in both loops, sc in each sc around.
Rnd 6: Working in front loops only, inc in each st around – 36 sc. Fasten off. Sew in place.
Mother’s Beret (Make 1)
Rnds 1-3: With D repeat Rnds 1-3 of Father’s Hat.
Rnd 4: [Sc in next 2 sc, inc] 6 times – 24 sc.
Rnd 5: [Sc in next 3 sc, inc] 6 times – 30 sc.
Rnd 6: Working in back loops for this rnd only, [sc in next sc, dec] 10 times – 20 sc.
Rnds 7 and 8: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off.
Flower (Make 1)
Rnd 1: With F ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: (Slip st, ch 1, hdc, ch 1) all in each sc around; join
with a slip st in first slip st. Fasten off. Sew to side of beret.
Sew flower in place. Sew beret in place.
Baseball Cap (Make 1)
Visor-Row 1: With E ch 2; 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook; turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, [inc] 5 times; turn – 10 sc.
Hat-Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, ch 14, slip st in first sc of Row 3; turn.
Rnd 4: Skip slip st, sc in each ch and in each sc around – 21 sc. Now work in continuous rnds without joining.
Rnd 5: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 6: [Sc in next 5 sc, dec] 3 times – 18 sc.
Rnd 7: [Sc in next 4 sc, dec] 3 times – 15 sc.
Rnd 8: [Sc in next 3 sc, dec] 3 times – 12 sc.
Rnd 9: [Dec] 6 times – 6 sc. Fasten off leaving a long yarn tail. Weave yarn tail through remaining sts; draw up firmly.
Sew cap in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Snowflake Hostess Apron
- Crochet Stash Baskets
- Granny's Square Dishcloth
- Easy Ombre Dishcloth
- 8 Free Crochet and Knit Pot Holder Patterns + 5 New Pot Holders
- Crochet Doily in Pineapple Pattern
- Simple Border Pot Holder and Dishcloth
- Cotton Thread Coaster or Doily
- Starfish Dishcloth
- Mop or Sweeper Cover
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Christmas Craft Ideas: Ornaments, Decorations, and Homemade Gifts for Christmas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Funky Crochet Earbud Wrap
- Ariel's Beaded Crochet Headband
- Knitted Plastic Bag Dispenser
- Last-Minute T-Shirt Necklace
- Perfectly Pretty Crochet Purse Pattern
- Animal Hats
- Cozy Knits: 50 Fast and Easy Projects from Top Designers
- Premo! Sculpey Clay
- Pretty in Pink Baby Blanket
- Terrific Turtle Crochet Beanie