Help your tiny dancer keep track of dance practice and recitals with this tutully unique memo board. Let her choose the colors she likes best.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Fabric, 45" color of choice, 1/2 yd. each: crepe satin; tulle
- Coordinating felt, 36" color of choice, 1/2 yd. (optional)
- Coordinating ribbon: satin, 1/2" x 1 yd.; sheer, 3/8" x 1/2 yd.; grosgrain, 1" x 2/3 yd.
- Coordinating satin ribbon roses, four
- Coordinating ruffled lace, 3/4" x 1 yd.
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Sewing needle
- Coordinating thread
- Craft pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Trace bodice and two sleeve patterns onto foam sheet; cut out.
- Temporarily pin satin fabric across front of foam bodice, allowing at least 2" border all around; fabric should be smooth. Trim excess fabric, leaving border.
- Turn bodice fabric side down on work surface and firmly pull excess fabric around side and bottom foam edges to back; pleat edges along curves as necessary. Glue fabric edges to foam to secure.
- Turn bodice fabric side up on work surface. Trim excess fabric along neckline only, not shoulders, leaving 1" border. Cut slits in excess fabric at neckline every 1-1/2", cutting from fabric edge to foam edge.
- Fold fabric down against neckline; glue to secure. Pull excess fabric at shoulders around to back side of bodice and glue. Glue 1"-wide ribbon along neckline edge, over fabric, to cover cuts; trim excess.
- Cover foam sleeves with remaining satin fabric in same way as bodice, being sure there is a right and a left sleeve as shown. Use glue gun to glue sleeves to bodice.
- If desired, trace complete bodice onto felt; cut out. Glue felt backing to back side of foam.
- Cut tulle in half lengthwise, creating two 9"-wide strips. Sew tulle strips, end to end, to 1/2"-wide satin ribbon length using a gathering stitch; do not clip threads. Pull threads to tightly gather ribbon, adjusting gathers to fit bottom edge of bodice; glue ribbon to bodice to secure.
- Glue lace over top of skirt, along sleeves and around neckline, trimming excess. Tie ribbon bows as desired and glue to dress as shown. Glue ribbon roses to bow centers.
- For hanger, cut sheer ribbon length in half. Tie two ends together in a bow; glue free ends to top back edge of bodice as show.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.