Follow Us on Facebook
Get updates from FaveCrafts.com posted directly to your News Feed.
Dyed School Hoodie
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
With easy and inexpensive fabric dyes, turn a plain hoodie into a colorful tribute to school colors. This is a great item for school sporting events and class pride.
1. Prewash hoodie. Do not use fabric softener.
2. Insert Fashion Form into hoodie. Draw desired sized letters on scratch paper. Cut out. Arrange letters where desired on the front left side going down. Then on the back arrange them on the top middle. Refer to photo. Lightly trace around each letter, using pencil.
3. Snip tip from Clear Gel Tacky Glue, using scissors. Apply a bead of glue just inside pencil line on letters on front of hoodie. Apply a random pattern of squiggles as a resist. NOTE: When dye is applied, where resist was applied will remain the color of the hoodie. Repeat procedure for all letters. Let dry.
4. Cover work surface with garbage bag. Lay hoodie onto work surface. Smooth out any wrinkles.
5. Wearing gloves, fill One-Step Fashion Dye bottles with water to line indicated. Shake until thoroughly mixed. Pour each color of dye into a separate spray bottle. Spray Yellow onto lower section of hoodie and onto lower section of sleeves. Carefully turn hoodie over. Repeat procedure to spray Yellow onto back of hoodie.
6. Spray Blue onto upper section of hoodie, allowing colors to blend at edges. Carefully turn hoodie over. Repeat procedure to spray Blue dye onto front of shirt. Cover with garbage bag. Let set 4-6 hours.
7. Wash in full load of water with small amount of laundry soap – this will remove resist. Dry in dryer.
8. Start flow of 3D paint on paper towel, using even pressure on bottle for a smooth line. Outline each letter on front of hoodie. Add another line about ¼” inside first line. Let dry.
9. Carefully cut fabric from inside each letter on back of hoodie, using scissors. Turn inside out. Cut fabric pieces slightly larger than each letter. Apply a bead of Fabric Fusion just inside cut edge around first letter. Press fabric piece into place, making sure edges have adhered. Repeat procedure for remaining letters. Let dry. Trim excess fabric. Turn right side out.
10. Trace football and letters onto paper. Turn paper over. Re-trace lines, using chalk. Place paper chalk side down onto back of hoodie. Run fingers over lines to transfer pattern.
11. Apply a thick, even, line of 3D Fashion Paint along chalk lines of word. Let dry.
12. Prepare Cordless Heat-Setting Tool. Press tip of crayon onto top of a 4mm AB crystal. Set into place at edge of a letter. The crayon will hold it just long enough to set in place. Set crystals about a ¼” apart to outline large letters.
13. Gently touch tip of tool onto top of each Crystal for 5 to 6 seconds to adhere. Let crystal cool. Touch with fingernail to check that is has adhered. If not adhered, heat a few seconds more.
14. Position 3mm clear crystals to outline football, working around paint lines. Adhere, using Heat-Setting Tool. Brush off excess chalk.
15. Wait 72 hours to wash. To launder, turn inside out and machine wash warm on gentle cycle. Do not use harsh detergents or bleach.
16. Remove promptly and dry flat or line dry. To iron, turn garment inside out, being careful not to touch design with iron. Do not dry clean.