This fun design uses a cake rubber stamp to create the main image. The unique tri-fold frame is made of papier mache by Walnut Hollow, available from craft stores. We used green colors to give it an "Irish theme" but you can use any color desired to create a keepsake gift for any bride and groom (or anniversary present).
Find more St. Patrick's Day craft projects, recipes and fun facts in our FREE St. Patrick's Day eBook.
- Kreinik #4 Braid 002J Japan Gold
- Kreinik #8 Braid 009 Emerald
- Kreinik #12 Braid 032 Pearl, 091 Star Yellow
- Kreinik #16 Braid 3215 Peridot
- Kreinik 1/8" Ribbon 087C Meadow Grass
- Frame: Walnut Hollow Trifold Frame Paper Mache #24838
- Stamp: cake stamp by Stampin Up
- Black stamp pad
- Yellow & White acrylic paint, paintbrush
- Misc. coordinating paper cut in small squares (Fibermark)
- Treasure Tape 4" x 6" Sheets (2)
- Diamond Beadlets®
- Shallow pan or tray
Before you begin embellishing: paint the paper mache frame as desired. We watered down yellow and white paint to give it a white-washed look.
- Trim one of your Treasure Tape sheet to be 1/2" less all around than the cover of your tri-fold frame.
- Remove the white backing from the Treasure Tape sheet, and apply it to the center front of your frame. Remove the red liner to expose the sticky area.
- Around the outside edge of the tape area, lay strips of 1/8" Ribbon and #16 Braid to act as a decorative border. Refer to our photo as a guide for placement, or create your own design.
- Take your pieces of scrap papers and lay them on the tape to ressemble a mosaic picture. Leave small spaces between papers.
- Once your papers are down, lay #16 Braid Peridot in the spaces between papers, as borders.
- Then take your other Treasure Tape sheet, remove the top red liner, and stamp a cake image directly onto the tape using the black ink pad. Replace the red liner to cover the image. Cut out the cake design. Remove the white backing, and lay the cake tape sheet in the center of your frame cover, on top of the papers. Remove the red liner to expose the top sticky area.
- Now begin to decorate the cake image with colors of Kreinik metallic thread. We used the 091 Yellow as the cake stand, 1/8" Ribbon 087C as the candles, #12 Braid 032 Pearl as the icing, and #8 Braid 009 Emerald/#12 Braid 091 Yellow as lattice. #4 Braid in 002J are curled into swirls on the cake, and 091 makes the candle flames.
- When all thread decorating is complete, lay your frame in a shallow pan and cover all remaining areas with Diamond Beadlets®.
Kreinik threads available through needlework stores or www.kreinik.com.