Using pillow case pattern ideas like this cascading ruffles pillow from Victoria Lavertu, you can turn scraps into a girly, trendy home accent. These pillows look great in the living room or in the bedroom.
- A pillow form (or old pillow)
- An old sheet or any other fabric you like
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating thread
- First of all, you want to measure your pillow form. Length and width and cut a piece of fabric that will wrap around the pillow.
- The seams will overlap in the back like this, so make sure you left room for your seam allowance.
- Take some more fabric and make 3" strips at whatever length you can get. I just did a bunch because I wasn`t sure how much I`d need. The easiest way to do this is cut at the 3 inch mark and tear along your fabric. The edges will be raw anyways and it`ll be as precise as you need it. Also, this is assuming you`re using 100% cotton material.
- Now adjust your sewing machine to the highest tension and the longest stitch. Sew along the center of your strips. If your fabric doesn`t ruffle itself, than don`t backstitch at your ends and then you can manually ruffle it by pulling on your bottom threads.
- Go back to your pillow base fabric piece and hem your short ends. You can serge and hem, or do what I did and double fold and press then hem. And sew your hem like so.
- Now wrap the fabric around your pillow again and mark out the face of the pillow so you know where to put your ruffles. I marked the top and bottom.
- Now you can start pinning your strips going up and down your pillow. Here it is all pinned in place, ready to be sewn.
- Sew along the center of the strips where you have sewn for the ruffling. Sew down each strip, backstitching at the beginning and end of each line.
- With your ruffles on the inside, fold over the ends, overlapping your ends slightly. Pin your edges together.
- While you`re pinning, be sure to tuck in the ruffles so you`re not sewing over them.
- Once you`ve sewn the edges, you can serge or zigzag the ends so they don`t fray.
- Turn right side out and stuff in your pillow.