Fuzzy Snowman Family
By: Debra Quartermain for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
This adorable snowman clan makes a great winter holiday decoration that the whole family will love. They are so easy to make with STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam and polar fleece.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls, one each: 2-1/2"; 2"; 1-1/2"
- Eggs, one each: 5"; 3
- White polar fleece, 1/4 yd.
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheets: white, one; light pink, two
- Pom poms: 1/2" white, one; pink, one 1/4" and two 5mm
- Pink embroidery floss, 1 yd.
- Pink buttons, two each: large; medium; small
- Black eye beads or brads, two each: 8mm; 6mm; 5mm
- White snowflake brads, three
- Powder blush
- Compass or circle templates: 5"; 4"; 2"
- Scissors: standard; scallop-edge
- Embroidery needle, 3" long
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
For pattern, click here.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 3" foam egg into two lengthwise sections, with smaller section about one-third of egg. Flatten top and bottom of 5" foam egg and each 3" egg section on work surface.
- Cut Mom's cape pattern from white felt using scallop-edge scissors. In addition, cut following from fleece: 8-1/2" x 9-1/2" (Dad); 7-1/2" x 8" (Mom); 6" x 7" (Baby). Cut following strips from pink felt for scarves: 1-1/2" x 12" (Dad); 1" x 10" (Mom); 1" x 9" (Baby). Cut 1/2"-long fringe into ends of each scarf.
- Glue foam balls to tops of foam eggs to create head/body for each snowman; smallest pieces are for Baby and largest are for Dad.
- Wrap corresponding fleece pieces around each head/body, overlapping fabric edges and gluing at back. Note: Rounded sides of 3" egg sections become front of Mom and Baby bodies. Glue fleece ends to top and bottom of each snowman to secure, making fabric as smooth as possible.
- Tie and glue scarves around Dad and Baby necks. Use needle to poke small hole in Baby's scarf; insert snowflake brad. Glue corresponding buttons to bodies.
- Use embroidery floss to sew gathering stitch along longest edge of cape; pull threads to gather slightly. Tie cape around Mom's neck, overlapping at front; clip threads. Tie and glue scarf around neck. Glue medium-sized buttons to body.
- Refer to photo to poke eye holes into each face; glue corresponding beads into holes. Use finger to blush cheeks. Glue pom pom noses to faces; largest is for Dad.
- Thread needle with three strands floss; knot ends. Insert needle through back of one head, coming out at center of face below nose. Make small, angled straight stitch, bringing needle out again at back of head. Repeat, stitching to other side. Repeat for remaining snowmen.
- For Dad's hat, cut one 2" and one 4" circle from white felt; cut 1" circle from center of 4" circle for hat brim. Cut 1-1/2" x 5" strip from white felt for hat crown; roll and glue strip into 1-1/2" tall cylinder and glue to hat brim. Glue 2" felt circle to top of hat. Cut 1/2" x 6" strip from pink felt for hat band; use needle to poke small hole in center and insert snowflake brad. Wrap and glue hat band around hat as shown. Glue hat to head.
- For Mom's hat, cut one 5" circle from pink felt. Cut one-third from circle and discard. With straight edge of hat at back bottom of head, turn up front edge and glue hat to head. Use needle to poke small hole in hat brim; insert snowflake brad.
- For Baby's hat, cut 4" x 6" piece from pink felt. Overlap and glue 4" ends, forming a tube. Use embroidery floss to sew gathering stitch around one end of tube; pull threads tightly to gather and clip excess. Glue white pom pom to top of hat. Turn up brim 3/4"; glue hat to head.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts