Homemade Halloween crafts are fun to make, especially ones that reuse old materials. With detailed instructions from Terri Sproul, transform an old cigar box into a festive trick or treat box that's perfect for decorating the porch for little trick-or-treaters.
- Cigar Box
- Glue Dots® “Pop Up”
- Glue Dots® “Craft”
- Glue Dots® “Glue Lines”
- Stamps: Stampotique Original: “Kitty”, “Welcome Door”, “Spider”, “Honeycombs”, “Crow on Line”
- Stamps: Moon by Fancifulstamps
- Stamps: Quote by PXS Stamps
- Stamps: Stars from Martha Stewart
- Colored Pencils: Faber-Castell
- Ink Pads: India Ink by Stewart Superior, Memories Dye Ink “Yellow”, “Cement” and “Sepia” Memories Ink pad are also from Stewart Superior
- Goldens Glaze: “Ultramarine Blue” and “Patina Green”
- Acrylic Paints: Black
- Silk: Sky Blue by Stewart Superior
- Memories Mists: Iridescent by Stewart Superior
- Textured Ribbon – brown mesh
- White Cardstock
- Cut top of Cigar Box lid off… Keep for another project!
- Paint the entire box with Gesso (this is a primer to cover all the cigar box labels). Paint outside of box with Black Acrylic Paint. Paint inside of box with two colors of Glaze “ Ultramarine Blue” and “Patina Green”
- When paint is dry Stamp “Stars” with “Yellow” Dye Ink.
- On White Cardstock stamp the following in India Ink and color in with Faber-Castell Art Grip Pencils: “Spider”, “Kitty”, , and “Girl”. Also Stamp “Moon” onto White Cardstock and Paint with Stewart Superior “Sky Blue” Silk. Stamp the “Welcome Door” with “Sepia” Memories Dye Ink, before I color in the image I painted Gesso on the door where it’s says “Welcome” to completely cover this word… When you have colored in each image, cut them out.
- Back to the box: Stamp using India ink “Crow on a line” (see sample for placement) also Stamp “honeycombs” onto the bottom where your door will be. I used the Honeycomb stamp to look like a walk ways…. Stamp in Memories Dye Inkpad “Cement”. Paint in honeycomb image with Acrylic Paint.
- Using My Glue Dots® I start to put my box together. I used the “Pop-Up” under the Moon, and the Kitty. “Craft Dots” under the Door, Girl and the Spider. As for the Spider, I hung spider from the top of the box with “Craft Dots” My Girls is adhered to the side and bottom of the box. I used Fishing line to make the spider line invisible, I just Glue Dotted to the back of the spider and the top of the box.
- Finished by stamping “Trick or Treat” inside the box where it fit the best and spray the entire box with: Iridescent Memories Mists. Around the outside of the box I wrapped a Mesh ribbon using My “Glue Lines”.