If you're looking for homemade Halloween costume ideas that involve little to no work, you're in luck! This No Sew Honeybee Costume from Heather Mann can be made in about 15 minutes, so your busy little bee can get to trick or treating!
Main Bee Costume:
- Black hooded sweatshirt
- Yellow duct tape
- 2 yellow chenille stems
- 2 yellow pom-poms
- 1/4" elastic band
- Safety pin
- Hot glue gun and hot glue stick
- Rubbing alcohol (optional)
- 2 sheets stiff white or yellow felt
- 1 sheet yellow felt
- 1/4" elastic band
- Hot glue and hot glue sticks
- Lay sweatshirt flat on work surface. Put a duct tape stripe across the chest, stretching from one sleeve seam to the other.
- Add two or three more stripes of duct tape, equally spaced from each other.
- Add matching stripes on the back of the sweatshirt.
- For antennae, wrap a yellow chenille stem around a pencil to curl it. Fold one end of chenille stem around edge of hood. Tape the end on the underside of hood with a piece of duct tape to secure it in place. Attach a pom-pom to the free end of the chenille stem with hot glue.
- Cut a small slit in the inside layer of the waistband. Attach the end of the 1/4" elastic to a safety pin, and thread the elastic through the waistband until it goes all the way around and comes out through the slit. Cinch the elastic so the waistband is slightly gathered, but not uncomfortable. Tie the ends of the elastic together and clip excess. Tuck the knot inside the waistband.
- To make wings, use the pattern to cut two large teardrop shapes out of stiff white or yellow felt. Cut a smaller football shape ("center piece") out of plain yellow felt, and a 1x3" rectangle from the same felt. Cut two 12" pieces of 1/4" elastic.
- To assemble, lay the center piece good side down on work surface. Hot glue wings to the center piece. Hot glue each 12" piece of elastic to the center of the wings in a large loop, then hot glue the small rectangle of felt over everything to hide the edges of the elastic.
- To wear wings, put your child's arms through the elastic straps like a backpack.