Use glow-in-the-dark iron on thread to add ghost(s) to a black Halloween vest. This simple project makes for a quick and easy Halloween outfit.
- purchased black vest (look for one at your local Goodwill, costume, or consignment shop)
- Mrs. K’s Iron-on Ribbon in 6700 Cantaloupe, 6710 Coconut, 6720 Honeydew (they all glow in the dark)
- Mrs. K’s Fine #8 Braid in 6700 Cantaloupe, 6710 Coconut, 6720 Honeydew
- Mini iron or household iron
- Teflon Press Cloth
- fabric marking pen or pencil (one that washes off or disappears)
- ghost template- use a ghost pattern from a coloring book, a child’s drawing, or your own pattern. Photocopy it in a variety of sizes.
- Turn your iron onto the highest heat setting and let it heat thoroughly.
- Cut out your ghost pattern templates and lay in desired pattern on your vest. Trace each pattern with your fabric marking pen.
- Outline each ghost pattern on your vest with Iron-on Ribbon: Place your ribbon at a starting point, cover with the Teflon Press Cloth, and press with your hot iron for several seconds until the thread adheres. Continue, working in sections.
- Make the eyes and mouth with Fine Iron-on Braid, always covering with the Teflon before ironing to keep the adhesive in the thread from sticking to your iron.
- Write “Boo” freehand with your fabric marker. Trace over this word with Fine Iron-on Braid.
- For maximum wearability, tack down the iron-on thread with tiny stitches using a clear monofilament thread.
For another Halloween shirt click here!