Friendly Ghost Sign
By: Christine Doheny
Vinyl floor samples and acrylics really bring this Halloween decoration together. Casper is reunited with a witch. This is a great friendly ghost sign for you to hang on your door or a wall this Halloween.
- Americana Acrylics
- DA111 - Grey Sky
- DA161 - Graphite
- DA133 - Hauser Dark Green
- DA136 - Base Flesh
- DA137 - Shading Flesh
- DA218 - Gingerbread
- DA169 - Tomato Red
- DA194 - Marigold
- Brush-On Sealers
- DS15 - Americana Satin Varnish
- Brushes by Loew-Cornell - 3/4" Series 7150; 3/4" Wash Series 7550; #4, #6 & #10 Flats Series 7300; 6/0 Script Liner Series 7050; #4 Fabric Brush
- Brush basin
- 1-1/2 yds black cord
- Paper towels
- Old toothbrush
- Tracing & transfer paper
- Transparent tape
- 24-gauge silver wire
- E6000 adhesive sealant
- Vinyl Flooring Samples
- Transfer pattern lines onto back side of vinyl and use scissors to cut out the main piece, large star, moon, cobweb and pumpkin.
- Basecoat the main piece and cobweb with several coats of Titanium White. (Remember, you're painting on the back side of the vinyl.)
- Transfer pattern details.
- Basecoat witch's face and hands Base Flesh; shade with Shading Flesh under the chin, on forehead and at top of hands.
- Tip fabric brush into a mixture of Tomato Red and a tad of Shading Flesh. Scrub off most of the paint onto a paper towel. Scrub in a circular motion for cheeks and nose.
- Paint eyes Lamp Black. Make fine black lines for eyelashes, nose and brows. Add Titanium White comma strokes and highlights in eyes. Mouth is line of Tomato Red.
- Paint hair with wash of Burnt Sienna shaded with Dark Chocolate; make wavy lines with Dark Chocolate.
- Paint collar with Black Forest Green; add Baby Blue stripes.
- Paint hat, bat and letters with Lamp Black. Highlight hat and bat with Slate Grey. Outline bat eyes and mouth with Slate Grey. Hatband is Baby Blue with edgewood Blue shading. Use #4 flat brush to make checks with Black Forest Green.
- Basecoat frogs with Avocado; shade with Hauser Dark Green. Float Jade Green highlights. Eyes are Lamp Black with tiny comma strokes of Marigold; spots are Jade Green.
- Paint mouse Slate Grey with Graphite shading. Light area on face is Grey Sky; bangs are Graphite and Grey Sky. Eyes and nose are Lamp Black.
- Undercoat small stars with Titanium White (if they were blocked out with black); then paint Marigold.
- Paint ghosts by shading on one side with Slate Grey and highlighting with Grey Sky. Facial features are lines of Lamp BlackUsing an old toothbrush, spatter Titanium White on letters, making sure not to spatter witch's face.
- Basecoat moon and large star Marigold; shade Burnt Sienna.
- Basecoat pumpkin Gingerbread; shade with Burnt Sienna. Dry-brush Base Flesh for highlight. Stem and leaves are Avocado with Hauser Dark Green shading. Highlight with float of Jade Green.
- Paint lines on cobweb and spider with Lamp Black. Lay a fine line of Grey Sky next to the black line of the spider legs.
- Apply several coats of Satin Varnish with 3/4" brush.
- Use an ice pick to punch a hole below each hand. Double cord. Tie a knot at the end of the cord on the first hand; make a loop at the top, bring the cord through the second hand and tie the knot.
- Use E6000 adhesive to glue the loop at the back of the witch's hat just below the star. Let dry.
- Attach the cobweb with 24-gauge wire; curl wire ends with the handle of fine liner at the hat brim.
- Use E6000 to attach the pumpkin, moon and large star.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!