Decorative Witch Hat
By: Tristan Gallagher
Instead of wearing your witch's hat you can make a homemade halloween decoration with a hat. Fun embellishments make this a great halloween craft idea you'll bringing out every year.
- Heavy-gauge wire – #18 or 20
- Lightweight wire -#24 or 26
- Pliers to manipulate the wire
- 1 yd black double weight Lutradur (can use white to be painted to color of choice AFTER it’s molded to form) (option: if bulk Lutradur is unavailable you can order Lutradur® Mixed Media Sheets from www.ctpub.com
- 1/8th yard black tulle
- Small plastic skeleton
- 5 – 10 small plastic spiders
- Green (or color of choice) fine glitter
- Glitter glue
- Embossing heat tool
- 5 – 8 yards of assorted Halloween ribbon. I like using several styles together.
- Create a witches hat form out of wire. First make the vertical bars (4-5 qty) out of the heavyweight wire, then use the lightweight wire to wrap around the heavier bars (in a spiral motion top to bottom) to create a cone-like shape. Leave 2”–3” of the vertical bars plain at the top to be curled around itself creating an interesting detail. This will also provide a place to tie the tulle and some spiders.
- Cut Lutradur into 1.5” – 2” strips.
- Starting just under the wire, curl at the top of the hat, tuck end of Lutradur strip between the wires. Start heating it with embossing tool, as it melts and becomes lacy, start wrapping the strip around the form, overlapping the long edges slightly as you heat them. When you get to the end of one length of Lutradur, place the beginning of another strip just under the previous end and melt them together with the heat tool. Allow the hat to take on it’s own shape, overlapping and heating until the entire form is covered and you like the result.
- If gaps appear that you don’t like, fill in with a smaller piece of Lutradur using the heat tool to melt the patch into place.
- Paint spiders with glitter glue, pour glitter over them and let dry. Repeat if needed.
- Using lightweight wire attach the spiders (tuck in between Lutradur layers), tulle and skeleton onto hat.
- Create a large bow out of ribbons. Wire to bottom of hat form to maintain balance. Secure with thread where needed to hold in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!