By: Kathleen George for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Three cheers for Halloween! You can perch this playful pair near the treat dish for a little extra Halloween fun. Paints, fabrics and felts put these cute decoration together.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Balls: 6", two; 1-1/2", four
- Eggs, 2-1/2", two
- Acrylic paints: black; brown
- Satin varnish
- Cotton fabrics, 45" wide, 1/3 yd. each: green print; orange print; orange solid
- Green felt, 4" x 8"
- Green thread to match cotton fabric
- Wooden dowels, 3/8", two
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Wooden skewers
- Kitchen utensils: measuring cup; small bowl; metal tablespoon
- Paintbrushes: medium flat; liner
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Sewing needle
- Extra-long straight pins
- Rubber bands, three
- Utility knife with new blade
- Thin, white craft glue
- Fabric glue
- Transfer paper (optional)
For pattern, click here.
- Firmly press top and bottom of each foam ball against work surface to flatten slightly. Mark center top and bottom. Wrap rubber bands around one ball from top to bottom, making six equal vertical segments. Mark segment lines. Repeat for remaining ball.
- Use utility knife to cut V-shaped notch, 3/4" wide and 1/2" deep, along each segment line. Rub cut foam edges with back of metal spoon to smooth. Insert skewer into bottom of each pumpkin.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut foam eggs in half lengthwise (feet).
- Cut patterns as indicated. In addition, cut four each of following: 5"-diameter circles from green print fabric (hands); 1-3/4" x 5" strips from orange print fabric (arms); 1-3/4" x 6" strips from orange print fabric (legs). Cut following from solid orange fabric: twelve 3/4" x 9" strips (segment lines); two 2" circles (pumpkin tops).
- Sew gathering stitch around each 5" circle, 3/8" from edge; do not clip threads.
- Use fabric glue to glue wrong side of leaves to felt; let dry and trim excess felt.
- Mix small amount water with 1 c. white glue in bowl. Saturate fabric pumpkin segments, one at a time, in glue mixture. Gently squeeze excess glue from fabric. To avoid wrinkling fabric, do not wring or twist.
- Holding pumpkin by skewer, apply generous coat of white glue to one segment at a time. Center fabric segment on top of glue; smooth with fingers. Repeat to cover both pumpkins, overlapping segment edges.
- Repeat Step 7 for 3/4" orange strips and 2" orange circles; mix more glue and water as needed.
- Apply glue to segment lines, one at a time. Center 3/4" orange strips between segments; smooth with fingers. Glue 2" orange circles to pumpkin tops; smooth. Place skewers in heavy glass or jar; let dry.
- When dry, apply satin varnish to pumpkins. Let dry; remove skewers.
- Using photo as guide and transfer paper, transfer face patterns to pumpkins. Outline facial features with black marker. Use liner brush and black paint to fill in facial features; let dry.
- Use utility knife to cut following lengths from dowels: stems, 3", two; arms, 5", four; legs, 6", four.
- Paint stems brown. Push dowels into scrap foam to dry.
- Use fabric glue to glue appropriate orange print strips around arm and leg dowels; let dry.
- Push and glue arm dowels into 1-1/2" foam-ball hands. Center 5" fabric circles over hands; pull thread ends to gather. Knot and clip thread. Set aside.
- Push leg dowels into top wide end of each foot; remove dowels.
- Apply generous coat of fabric glue to top of one foot. Center foam foot, rounded side down, on appropriate fabric piece. Bring fabric up to flat side of foot. Pin fabric at four opposite points; gather excess between pins. Glue fabric to foam; let dry. Remove pins. Glue appropriate fabric piece to bottom of foot. Repeat for other foot. Let dry completely.
- Use utility knife to cut small X through top foot fabric to expose leg holes. Place small amount of glue into hole, then twist leg into hole. Position legs for standing pumpkin straight up and down; arrange legs for sitting pumpkin at an angle, so toes point away from heel. Let dry.
- Using photo as guide and pencil, poke holes in each pumpkin for stem, arm, and leg placement. Place small amount of glue into holes, then twist dowels 1-1/2" deep into holes.
- Use scissors point to push base of leaves directly into pumpkins, beside stems; arrange as desired.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 334 DIY Halloween Ideas: The Ultimate Guide
- Illuminated Pumpkin
- Denim Country Pumpkins
- Bat Wind Chime
- 5 Halloween Coloring Pages for Adults free eBook
- A Spooktacular Celebration: 23 Halloween Crafts and Recipes
- Orange Pumpkin Crocheted Pincushion
- Spook Your Friends Out
- Witch Legs Pillow
- 18 No-Carve Pumpkin Ideas You've Got to Try
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Valentine’s Day Printable Tag (Tic Tac Toe)
- Sweet Illuminated Valentine's Decoration
- Free PJ Pants Pattern for Older Kids
- Beaded Cross Stitch Snowflake
- T-shirt Yarn Dreamcatcher
- Heart Coffee Cozy
- Easy DIY Valentine's Wreath
- 38 Flower Pot Crafts
- Magnetic Pin Bowl
- Chicken Wire Heart Decor