By: Kathleen George for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Three cheers for Halloween! You can perch this playful pair near the treat dish for a little extra Halloween fun. Paints, fabrics and felts put these cute decoration together.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Balls: 6", two; 1-1/2", four
- Eggs, 2-1/2", two
- Acrylic paints: black; brown
- Satin varnish
- Cotton fabrics, 45" wide, 1/3 yd. each: green print; orange print; orange solid
- Green felt, 4" x 8"
- Green thread to match cotton fabric
- Wooden dowels, 3/8", two
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Wooden skewers
- Kitchen utensils: measuring cup; small bowl; metal tablespoon
- Paintbrushes: medium flat; liner
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Sewing needle
- Extra-long straight pins
- Rubber bands, three
- Utility knife with new blade
- Thin, white craft glue
- Fabric glue
- Transfer paper (optional)
For pattern, click here.
- Firmly press top and bottom of each foam ball against work surface to flatten slightly. Mark center top and bottom. Wrap rubber bands around one ball from top to bottom, making six equal vertical segments. Mark segment lines. Repeat for remaining ball.
- Use utility knife to cut V-shaped notch, 3/4" wide and 1/2" deep, along each segment line. Rub cut foam edges with back of metal spoon to smooth. Insert skewer into bottom of each pumpkin.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut foam eggs in half lengthwise (feet).
- Cut patterns as indicated. In addition, cut four each of following: 5"-diameter circles from green print fabric (hands); 1-3/4" x 5" strips from orange print fabric (arms); 1-3/4" x 6" strips from orange print fabric (legs). Cut following from solid orange fabric: twelve 3/4" x 9" strips (segment lines); two 2" circles (pumpkin tops).
- Sew gathering stitch around each 5" circle, 3/8" from edge; do not clip threads.
- Use fabric glue to glue wrong side of leaves to felt; let dry and trim excess felt.
- Mix small amount water with 1 c. white glue in bowl. Saturate fabric pumpkin segments, one at a time, in glue mixture. Gently squeeze excess glue from fabric. To avoid wrinkling fabric, do not wring or twist.
- Holding pumpkin by skewer, apply generous coat of white glue to one segment at a time. Center fabric segment on top of glue; smooth with fingers. Repeat to cover both pumpkins, overlapping segment edges.
- Repeat Step 7 for 3/4" orange strips and 2" orange circles; mix more glue and water as needed.
- Apply glue to segment lines, one at a time. Center 3/4" orange strips between segments; smooth with fingers. Glue 2" orange circles to pumpkin tops; smooth. Place skewers in heavy glass or jar; let dry.
- When dry, apply satin varnish to pumpkins. Let dry; remove skewers.
- Using photo as guide and transfer paper, transfer face patterns to pumpkins. Outline facial features with black marker. Use liner brush and black paint to fill in facial features; let dry.
- Use utility knife to cut following lengths from dowels: stems, 3", two; arms, 5", four; legs, 6", four.
- Paint stems brown. Push dowels into scrap foam to dry.
- Use fabric glue to glue appropriate orange print strips around arm and leg dowels; let dry.
- Push and glue arm dowels into 1-1/2" foam-ball hands. Center 5" fabric circles over hands; pull thread ends to gather. Knot and clip thread. Set aside.
- Push leg dowels into top wide end of each foot; remove dowels.
- Apply generous coat of fabric glue to top of one foot. Center foam foot, rounded side down, on appropriate fabric piece. Bring fabric up to flat side of foot. Pin fabric at four opposite points; gather excess between pins. Glue fabric to foam; let dry. Remove pins. Glue appropriate fabric piece to bottom of foot. Repeat for other foot. Let dry completely.
- Use utility knife to cut small X through top foot fabric to expose leg holes. Place small amount of glue into hole, then twist leg into hole. Position legs for standing pumpkin straight up and down; arrange legs for sitting pumpkin at an angle, so toes point away from heel. Let dry.
- Using photo as guide and pencil, poke holes in each pumpkin for stem, arm, and leg placement. Place small amount of glue into holes, then twist dowels 1-1/2" deep into holes.
- Use scissors point to push base of leaves directly into pumpkins, beside stems; arrange as desired.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Scottish Terrier Dog Crochet Amigurumi Pattern
- "The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More" free eBook
- Silly Kids DIY Shoe Decoration
- Stenciled Chalkboard Happy Birthday Card
- Sweet Doily Cards Spring Craft
- Illuminated Blossoms Spring Craft
- Colorful Napkin Wreath Spring Craft
- Large Silk DIY Flower Arrangement
- Kiddie Blocks Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Easy DIY Castle Printables