This adorably spooky clay pot witch comes bearing a special treat... an air freshener for your home. All you need to create this do it yourself Halloween craft is some STYROFOAM Brand Foam, a clay pot and craft wire.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Balls, one each: 4"; 2-1/2"
- Renuzit® LongLast® Adjustable Air Freshener
- Clay pot, 4-1/2"
- Wooden dowel, 3/16" diameter
- Acrylic paints: black; lime green; purple; orange
- Felt, 9" x 12" sheets: two black; one lime green
- Beads: two half-round black, 6mm; one white E
- Red plastic-coated craft wire, 24-gauge, 2" length
- Plastic glow-in-the-dark spider, 3/4"
- Lime green mulberry paper scrap
- Natural raffia, small amount
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Metal tablespoon
- Paintbrushes: medium flat; 3/4" round sponge
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Paint pot purple; let dry. Apply second coat; let dry. Dip round sponge brush into green paint, press sponge onto paper plate to remove excess, and then apply to surface with up-and-down motion. Let dry. Repeat with orange; let dry. Open air freshener and place in pot.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 2-1/4"-diameter circle from bottom of 4" foam ball; discard scrap. Use spoon to carve out foam from inside ball, until it fits over top of air freshener. Paint ball (body) black; let dry. Apply second coat; let dry.
- Cut small foam ball in half; reserve one half for a future project. Slightly shape flat side of half-ball (head) to fit around body. Slightly flatten one rounded edge of ball, 1/2" from flat bottom edge for chin. Paint head green; let dry. Apply second coat; let dry.
- Cut patterns from felt as indicated. Roll and glue hat piece into cone shape, with long edges slightly overlapping. Repeat for sleeves. Glue inner edge of hat brim to inside bottom edge of hat.
- For hair, cut several 10" raffia lengths. Glue one end to top of head. Trim bangs as desired. Place hat onto head, leaving two-thirds of face exposed; glue to secure. Bend tip of hat and brim as shown and glue to secure. Glue spider to brim. Spot glue brim to hat at back of head.
- Press and glue flat side of beads into face for eyes. For nose, twist mulberry paper into a 1"-long cone shape. Use pencil to make hole for nose; glue nose into hole.
- For mouth, thread bead onto wire to simulate a tooth. Bend wire into zig-zag mouth. Bend 1/4" wire ends into an "L" shape; glue wire ends into face as shown.
- Finger-pleat one short edge of cape; spot glue to secure. With hat and pleated edge of cape sandwiched between, glue head and cape to body so lower edge of face is 1/2" from flat bottom edge of body.
- Replace witch over air freshener. Glue sleeves to inside of pot as shown. Glue hands into sleeves, thumbs facing each other.
- For broom, cut one 10" and several 3" raffia lengths. Cut 6" length from dowel; apply glue to 1" at one end. Press 3" raffia lengths to glue; let dry. Wrap shorter strands with 10" strand; knot to secure. Glue broom handle into hand.
- When gel is depleted, replace with a new air freshener.
For pattern, click here.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.