This super spooky witch hat wall hanging is a great easy Halloween craft. Keep an old straw broom nearby for extra-eerie fun!
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Black foam-core board (or stiff cardboard), 1/4" thick, 10" square
- Spray paints: purple; matte-finish black
- Pom poms: 2" black, two; 10mm neon green, four
- Black chenille stems: 12", one; 15mm bump, eight
- Ribbon: purple sheer, 1-1/2" x 2 yds.; orange satin, 1/8" x 4 yds.
- Silk florals, two each: orange mums with leaves; orange berry sprays
- Twigs, 12" long, two or three
- Clear acrylic gems, three
- Black pearl-head pins, 1" long, four
- Glitter: black; green
- Wooden skewer
- Wire cutters
- Craft knife
- Spray adhesive
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
Always use a latex spray paint on STYROFOAM brand foam; a solvent-based paint may "melt" a portion of the foam.
- Use compass to draw 9"-diameter circle on foam-core board; cut out with craft knife. Draw straight line across circle, 3" from one edge. Cut circle (hat brim) along line.
- Center and glue foam cone to hat brim, flush with straight brim edge. Note: Straight edge allows hat to hang against wall. For extra support, insert wooden skewer through tip of cone.
- In well-ventilated, protected area, spray hat with two coats black; let dry between coats. Spray twigs purple; let dry.
- Following manufacturer's instructions, spray hat with adhesive; sprinkle with black and green glitter. Repeat as needed; let dry.
- Twist 12" chenille stem into hanging loop. Glue loop into back of hat, 5" below tip; adjust as needed so hat hangs against wall.
- Glue orange ribbon around brim edge; trim excess. Glue purple, then orange, ribbon around cone base for hatband; trim excess.
- Using photo as guide, glue twigs to left side of hat. Cut one mum to 2" length; cut remaining mum to 5". Glue taller mum to left side near twigs; glue 2" mum to brim at base of twigs. Glue leaves and berry sprays among mums and twigs.
- Loosely twist remaining purple ribbon into three-loop bow with 12" tails. Glue ribbon loops to left edge of hat, under mum, so ribbon "cascades" over brim. Spot glue loops and tails to underside of hat brim. Repeat with orange ribbon. Cut a "v" into each end of purple ribbon. Glue gems to ribbons as desired.
- Cut bump chenille stems into 16 two-bump segments. Bend and shape each section into a spider leg. Glue eight legs, evenly spaced, around base of each black pom pom.
- Glue two green pom poms to each spider for eyes; glue black pins into eyes. Glue spiders to hat and purple ribbon as shown.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
If you like this craft check out the bewitching pumpkin wizard!