10 Eco Friendly Halloween Crafts
By: Caley Walsh, Editor for FaveCrafts.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Eco-friendly Halloween crafts can reduce the problem of holiday waste and can create quality items to celebrate Halloween for years to come. Learn why eco-friendly Halloween crafts are important for the environment and find 10 eco-friendly Halloween craft ideas below.
As with any holiday, store-bought Halloween decorations and accessories can generate a lot of waste. Too often retail Halloween decorations feature non-recyclable, non-biodegradable materials, packaged in disposable plastic. When Halloween decorations are designed for one-time use, the waste problem is even worse. While the management of all waste consumes energy and natural resources, non-biodegradable plastics never disappear and pollute the environment forever.
Cut down your household’s waste this Halloween by making your own Halloween decorations, costumes and accessories. Use the Halloween craft ideas below to get you started. Whenever possible, reuse materials, purchase second-hand and/or purchase new, eco-friendly craft materials. Halloween crafts can help you celebrate greener.
Eco-Friendly Halloween Crafts
Brown Bag Halloween Wreath- Use old brown grocery bags to create the shapes for this eco-friendly Halloween craft project. Make sure to select VOC-Free craft paints, like those made by Eco Green Crafts or Earth Friendly Finishes. Natural raffia wreath bases are perfect for making your own eco-friendly Halloween crafts.
DIY Spider Webs- Disposable spider webs are wasteful and generally made from non-biodegradable materials. Plus, the plastic packaging is an additional problem. Instead, pick up fabric from your local craft or discount store and make your own webs with a simple braiding technique. Look for eco-friendly fabric choices like hemp, organic cotton or recycled polyester.
Candy Corn Decoration Ornament- Here is a great idea for simple eco-friendly Halloween crafts: fill clear or painted glass ornaments with Halloween candy. To reduce packaging waste, look to see if your local grocery store offers candy corn or other candies in bulk for Halloween. Bring your own bag or container and purchase as much candy as you want. Stores such as Whole Foods also offer many organic candy choices.
Bloody Pillar Candles- Make your own “bloody” pillar candles for spooky yet eco-friendly Halloween crafts. Use all-natural soy or beeswax taper and pillar candles to create this Halloween candle, instead of petroleum-derived paraffin wax.
Jack-o-Lantern Luminaries- Use metal coffee cans to create your own jack-o-lantern luminaries for lining the porch or driveway this Halloween. Create a variety of Halloween crafts by punching spooky designs into recycled metal cans. Make sure to use all-natural soy or beeswax votive candles to light your luminaries.
Bat Wind Chime- Make a Halloween-themed wind chime to enjoy for years to come with a simple terra cotta garden pot. Instead of craft foam, use cereal box cardboard to create the wings of the Halloween bat. Make your own triangle stamp with a simple potato. For another terra cot pot Halloween idea, see this fun Trick or Treat Candy Pot.
Pumpkin Ornaments- Use fabric and felt scraps to create these cute pumpkin ornaments for eco-friendly Halloween crafts. You can even create your own felt for the pumpkin leaves by felting an old sweater. Use more fabric scraps or old pantyhose/nylon stockings to stuff your pumpkin ornaments.
Ghost Centerpiece Craft- Cheesecloth is the perfect material for making eco-friendly ghost Halloween crafts. Make your own liquid starch for molding the cheesecloth by mixing ½ C. potato starch flour with 2 ½ C. of water. Instead of using a disposable foam mold, using terra cotta pots and/or bowls to make your ghost form. You can also make a cheesecloth bat using this same technique.
Happy Felt Bats- Make these felt bats to hang or stick onto skewers. Felt can be an eco-friendly material for Halloween crafts, especially if you make your own. For a quick and easy craft, pick up some eco-friendly craft felt made from Eco-fi, 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles.
- Bandana Trick or Treat- Forget those disposable plastic bags, which never biodegrade! Repurpose a bandana into a reusable bag for Halloween trick-or-treating. Use a black or Halloween-themed bandana already in your possession or pick up a bandana from a local thrifty store. You can also use the bag for grocery shopping or errands around Halloween and extend its use.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Carousel Horse DIY Costume
- 13 Halloween Printables You've Got to Have
- Recycled Shirt Pumpkin
- Spider Web No-Sew T-Shirt
- No Sew Spider Costume
- 30 Pumpkin Patterns: Free Projects for Halloween
- 5 Halloween Coloring Pages for Adults free eBook
- "31 Halloween Craft Projects" eBook
- Trick or Treat Halloween Wreath
- Crafty Pumpkin Costume
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- 12 Easter Egg Ideas & Easter Crafts for Adults
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Faux Fur Crossbody Bag
- Rustic Wedding in a Barn
- DIY Burlap Aisle Runner
- Shell N Picots Slouch Hat
- Recycled Pallet and Scrap Booking Shelf
- Stamped Matilda Inspired Hoodie
- Candy Corn Fabric Wreath
- Fall Burlap Wreath
- Big Knit Easy Blanket Sweater
- Pick Your State Printable Art