10 Eco Friendly Halloween Crafts
By: Caley Walsh, Editor for FaveCrafts.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Eco-friendly Halloween crafts can reduce the problem of holiday waste and can create quality items to celebrate Halloween for years to come. Learn why eco-friendly Halloween crafts are important for the environment and find 10 eco-friendly Halloween craft ideas below.
As with any holiday, store-bought Halloween decorations and accessories can generate a lot of waste. Too often retail Halloween decorations feature non-recyclable, non-biodegradable materials, packaged in disposable plastic. When Halloween decorations are designed for one-time use, the waste problem is even worse. While the management of all waste consumes energy and natural resources, non-biodegradable plastics never disappear and pollute the environment forever.
Cut down your household’s waste this Halloween by making your own Halloween decorations, costumes and accessories. Use the Halloween craft ideas below to get you started. Whenever possible, reuse materials, purchase second-hand and/or purchase new, eco-friendly craft materials. Halloween crafts can help you celebrate greener.
Eco-Friendly Halloween Crafts
Brown Bag Halloween Wreath- Use old brown grocery bags to create the shapes for this eco-friendly Halloween craft project. Make sure to select VOC-Free craft paints, like those made by Eco Green Crafts or Earth Friendly Finishes. Natural raffia wreath bases are perfect for making your own eco-friendly Halloween crafts.
DIY Spider Webs- Disposable spider webs are wasteful and generally made from non-biodegradable materials. Plus, the plastic packaging is an additional problem. Instead, pick up fabric from your local craft or discount store and make your own webs with a simple braiding technique. Look for eco-friendly fabric choices like hemp, organic cotton or recycled polyester.
Candy Corn Decoration Ornament- Here is a great idea for simple eco-friendly Halloween crafts: fill clear or painted glass ornaments with Halloween candy. To reduce packaging waste, look to see if your local grocery store offers candy corn or other candies in bulk for Halloween. Bring your own bag or container and purchase as much candy as you want. Stores such as Whole Foods also offer many organic candy choices.
Bloody Pillar Candles- Make your own “bloody” pillar candles for spooky yet eco-friendly Halloween crafts. Use all-natural soy or beeswax taper and pillar candles to create this Halloween candle, instead of petroleum-derived paraffin wax.
Jack-o-Lantern Luminaries- Use metal coffee cans to create your own jack-o-lantern luminaries for lining the porch or driveway this Halloween. Create a variety of Halloween crafts by punching spooky designs into recycled metal cans. Make sure to use all-natural soy or beeswax votive candles to light your luminaries.
Bat Wind Chime- Make a Halloween-themed wind chime to enjoy for years to come with a simple terra cotta garden pot. Instead of craft foam, use cereal box cardboard to create the wings of the Halloween bat. Make your own triangle stamp with a simple potato. For another terra cot pot Halloween idea, see this fun Trick or Treat Candy Pot.
Pumpkin Ornaments- Use fabric and felt scraps to create these cute pumpkin ornaments for eco-friendly Halloween crafts. You can even create your own felt for the pumpkin leaves by felting an old sweater. Use more fabric scraps or old pantyhose/nylon stockings to stuff your pumpkin ornaments.
Ghost Centerpiece Craft- Cheesecloth is the perfect material for making eco-friendly ghost Halloween crafts. Make your own liquid starch for molding the cheesecloth by mixing ½ C. potato starch flour with 2 ½ C. of water. Instead of using a disposable foam mold, using terra cotta pots and/or bowls to make your ghost form. You can also make a cheesecloth bat using this same technique.
Happy Felt Bats- Make these felt bats to hang or stick onto skewers. Felt can be an eco-friendly material for Halloween crafts, especially if you make your own. For a quick and easy craft, pick up some eco-friendly craft felt made from Eco-fi, 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles.
- Bandana Trick or Treat- Forget those disposable plastic bags, which never biodegrade! Repurpose a bandana into a reusable bag for Halloween trick-or-treating. Use a black or Halloween-themed bandana already in your possession or pick up a bandana from a local thrifty store. You can also use the bag for grocery shopping or errands around Halloween and extend its use.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Baby Pumpkin Crochet Beanie
- "31 Halloween Craft Projects" eBook
- Denim Country Pumpkins
- Trio of TP Tube Treat Bags
- Easy Halloween Crochet Trio
- Fabric Yo Yo Pumpkins
- Witch Heels Candy Favors
- 20 Pumpkin Patterns: Free Projects for Halloween
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- 287 DIY Halloween Ideas: The Ultimate Guide
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Ornamental Easter Eggs
- Robin Josephs
- Easter Bunny Canvas
- Scottish Terrier Dog Crochet Amigurumi Pattern
- "The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More" free eBook
- Silly Kids DIY Shoe Decoration
- Stenciled Chalkboard Happy Birthday Card
- Sweet Doily Cards Spring Craft
- Illuminated Blossoms Spring Craft
- Colorful Napkin Wreath Spring Craft