If you're looking for a cute way to spruce up plain hair clips, check out this craft for a Rainbow Hair Clip from Victoria Lavertu. It's a great project for crafting hair accessories, and who doesn't love classy hair clips? This clip would be perfect for a girl to wear in the spring. If you want to learn how to make hair accessories for kids, check out this free tutorial!
Find this and other Rainbow Crafts at "14 Simple DIY Rainbow Crafts for Springtime"!
- 3" x 3" felt squares in a variety of colors (specifically pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
- 3" x 6" felt square in white
- hot glue gun
- pencil & paper
- hair clip (alligator clip or snap clip)
- embroidery needle and embroidery floss (you can use any color you like)
- Start off with your white piece of felt. Use something to trace a circle with.
- Cut two circles out of the white felt.
- Take the item you used to trace a circle on felt and do the same on a piece of paper. Draw out a rainbow inside the circle. You can use the item again to draw a half circle, or just sketch out a rainbow shape.
- Take the item you used to trace a circle on felt and do the same on a piece of paper.
- Draw out a rainbow inside the circle. You can use the item again to draw a half circle, or just sketch out a rainbow shape.Use a ruler to shape six even strips
- Next, cut out the strips of the rainbow. Write the color on each piece so you don't forget.
- Start tracing the pieces onto the specific pieces of felt.
- Cut out the felt strips.
- Place the strips onto the white piece of felt to make sure it all fit and looks the way you want it to.
- Now start gluing the pieces on one by one with your hot glue gun, starting with the top color. Start gluing the two ends down first just so the ends stay put.
- The pieces will overlap a little, and after the first strip, you can glue them down differently by starting at one end (so the ends line up nicely) and going along the upper color. That way, once you get the other end, you can trim off some the strip if you need to so that both ends of the rainbow line up.
- Now that your rainbow is on there, take your other white circle of felt and place where you want your clip to be.
- Cut a small opening for your clip to slide in.
- Slide in the clip and if you like, you can glue a dot where the top of the clip is onto the felt so it won't come out.
- Next, thread your needle with the white embroidery floss.
- Place the two circles together (be sure you are noting where your clip is so your rainbow sits straight when clipped in the hair) and sew a running stitch with your needle all around the circle.
- Knot your thread and cut off excesses.