Go Green Baby Clothes
By: Beth Wheeler for Earth Safe Finishes
Painting plain baby sets is a great way to make personalized baby clothes. It's also a great way to go green. Go Green Baby Clothes uses earth friendly colorants so your baby will look adorable while he or she helps to save the planet.
- Earth Safe Finishes Colorant: violet, white, yellow, sage green, rose
- ESF Fabric Magic
- ESF Extender (optional)
- Several small paintbrushes
- Extra-fine black Sharpie
- Plastic garbage bag or paper to protect work surface
- Plastic plate
- Paper towels
- Baby outfit (pre-washed and dried)
- Scrap of white 100% cotton, such as bleached muslin
- Protect work surface with plastic or paper. Place a piece of practice fabric on the work surface.
- Place one drop of Fabric Magic on the plastic plate. Add 1 tiny drop of violet Colorant and 5 drops white on the Fabric Magic. Mix with the paintbrush until colors have blended well.
- Dab a drop of the mixture onto the fabric.
- Dab a cluster, similar to the one above.
- A 5-petal blossom will look something like the one above.
- When the violet mixture has dried completely. Dot yellow in the center of the petals.
- The blossom begins to take on character when the outline and details are added with
the Sharpie marker.
- The leaf is a dab of green (top). Once it is dry, add details with the Sharpie, as on the
bottom image. The green mixture is 1 drop Fabric Magic, 1 drop sage Colorant, 1 drop yellow
colorant, and 6–10 drops white Colorant.
- Baby's Breath is a cluster of dots made with the tip of the brush or the brush handle.
The mixture is 1 tiny drop rose Colorant, 1 drop Fabric Magic, and 6–10 drops white
- Arrange the blossoms, leaves, and baby's breath in clusters. When they are
completely dry, add the vine and tendrils with the Sharpie marker.
- Allow the paint to dry at least 24 hours. Heat-set with a dry iron on cotton setting.
Allow the finished piece to cure at least 48 hours before washing the first time.
- Once you are comfortable with the technique described above, dab petals, leaves,
and baby's breath in a pleasing arrangement along the hem of the pants, top, around the
neck of the top, and on the shoes, as desired.
- The baby shoes have a small vine of five blossoms over the toe. The odd number keeps
the design in balance. The socks have a few clusters of baby's breath scattered on the
- The pants have a cluster of three blossoms with a few leaves and baby's breath at the
- A vine of blossoms is scattered along the neckline and around the hem of the top. One
little blossom cluster is found on each sleeve edge, as well.