Think it's hard to be eco-friendly when it comes to crafting? Then you haven't seen these Cool2Cast Mini Frames from Heidi Borchers! Save blister plastic from packaging and create these cute keepsakes. These little frames make a great gift.
- Cool2Cast Fiber Plaster
- Plastic ‘blister’ packaging (to use for your mold)
- Craft foam (small piece, to create frame area)
- Plastic container with lid( for mixing)
- Measuring cups
- Craft stick
- Craft knife
- Select your blister packaging depending on what size project you want to make.
- Measure Cool2Cast and water into container.
- With the lid securely attached, shake the mixture for about a minute.
- In the mold, place small piece of craft foam the same size and shape you want for the frame area. Note: if you want the craft foam to be straight, place small amount of double sided tape to secure it to the bottom of the mold.
- Pour the mixed Cool2Cast into the mold and over the craft foam. Fill to approximately 3/8”. Use craft stick to help remove Cool2Cast from container if needed. Clean container with paper towels or wet wipes for next use. Do not pour any Cool2Cast down drain.
- With fingers lightly tap the edges of the mold to level out the Cool2Cast. Let set undisturbed for at least two hours before removing.
- When Cool2Cast is hard to the touch, turn mold over and gently push to release frame.
- Using a craft knife, carefully start the removal of the craft foam piece. Once you get it started, you should be able to pull out the foam piece to reveal the indentation. Use craft knife to scrape any excess plaster from the frame area to create smooth edges, if needed.
- Your frame is now ready to paint with acrylic paints. When paints are dry, cut and glue a photo into frame space.
For a comprehensive video tutorial of this project, check out How to Make a Plaster Frame from Blister Packaging.