Class of 2008 Decorated Mortarboard
Go to the head of the class! Graduate with style, using Tulip® Soft Fabric Paint™ and Tulip® Sticky Fabric Stencils™ to add colorful flair to the usual pomp and circumstance. Adapt this design for every year to come by changing the numbers of course!
- Tulip® Sticky Fabric Stencils™
- 23277 Numbers
- 23565 ABC's
- Aleene’s® Crystal Clear Tacky Spray™
- Aleene's® Fast Grab Tacky Glue®
- Tulip® Soft Fabric Paint™
- Cosmetic sponge
- Low tack masking tape
- Cardstock, black, white
- Ribbon, 1/8” to 3/8” wide, 4 colors to match Retro Kit
- Mortarboard, black
- Cut desired letters and numbers from stencils.
- Place word “CLASS” in a curve above center button of mortarboard. Place word “OF” below button. Run fingernail around edges of stencils to ensure a tight seal.
- Apply masking tape around edges and between letters as needed to create a protective border around stencil.
- Squeeze a puddle of Turquoise Soft Paint onto foil. Tap flat end of sponge into paint. Tap excess paint onto a clean area of foil. Tap paint into openings of stencils, reloading sponge as needed. Carefully remove stencils before paint dries. Let dry.
- Repeat procedure to paint numbers, using Pink Reflections Soft Paint.
- Cut four lengths from each color of ribbon, each length 2” longer than width of mortarboard.
- Cover work surface with newspaper. Place one length of each color of ribbon, wrong side up onto paper. Tape very edge of ribbon ends to newspaper so they will not move when sprayed.
- Apply Crystal Clear Tacky Spray to ribbons, following label instructions. Lifting one ribbon at a time, arrange ribbons along one edge of mortarboard, press excess to underside of mortarboard. Repeat procedure to apply remaining ribbons, working on one side of mortarboard at a time.
- Glue a small piece of black ribbon over ribbon ends on underside of mortarboard.
- Cut 6½” square from white cardstock. Roll cardstock to imitate a diploma. Place a dab of Fast Grab Tacky Glue on inside edge at center. Hold in place briefly, using clothespin. Remove clothespin.
- Cut a 1½” x 5” piece from black cardstock. Wrap around center of diploma, placing narrow edges at bottom. Glue ends together.
- Cut a 6” length from turquoise ribbon. Tie into a knot at center of black band. Trim excess ribbon.
- Glue across corner above lettering, using Fast Grab Tacky Glue. Let dry before moving.