Homemade Rabbit Doll
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
The Daffodil Queen from Jacquard Products really captures my heart and makes me grin whenever I look at it. No one here at Jacquard can resist a smile when walking by Bert. We had the funny bunny doll blank in our boxes of stuff and I thought it would be cool to dress this bunny up for Easter!
I’d been dreaming up ideas for ExtravOrganza for some time (it’s my new favorite product!) and it’s perfect for this application.
- Jacquard’s ExtravOrganza: 13 sheets
- Jacquard Neopaque: Brown
- Jacquard Lumiere: Pearl White, Sunset Gold, Metallic Olive Green
- One yard of 3" wide ribbon (I used a piece of Chinese Dupion painted with brown Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow)
- Bunny doll blank
- Optional: Doll-sized spectacles, beads, narrow masking tape
- Printing Images: For this project I used a copy machine to create the images on ExtravOrganza, but you could use a scanner and work with the images in Photoshop if you prefer. I gathered the quintessential flowers of Easter (daffodils and narcissus), tossed them on the copier, put in a sheet of ExtravOrganza, set to “photo” and hit start. Be sure to place a large sheet of paper or white fabric behind the flowers before you begin as you won’t be able to close the lid of the copier without squishing the flowers. The result is a wonderful image. Use any flowers you like. I can imagine so many projects using this one technique. Continue making copies of flowers loading the ExtravOrganza one sheet at a time. I used a total of 13 sheets: 5 sheets underskirt (copier set to enlarge at 200%), 5 sheets skirt top layer, 1 sheet for the neck piece (copier set to reduce at 75%) and 2 sheets for the sleeves (copier set to enlarge at 200%). Play around with reducing and enlarging the image to fit the size of doll you are working on. Do tests on plain paper first, writing the copier settings on them for reference as you go, so that you conserve the ExtravOrganza.
Remove paper backing from the 5 sheets of ExtravOrganza for the underskirt.
Crinkle the edge of the fabric and cut deckle edge as shown.
Paint edge with Lumiere in a color that compliments your flowers. I used Lumiere Pearl White tinted with Sherrill’s Sorbets Lemon and then accented the edge further with Lumiere Sunset Gold.
Highlight a flower with Lumiere. I decided to bring more attention to the daffodil so I used my combination of Pearl White/Lemon for this. Set aside. NOTE: I paint my ExtravOrganza on pieces of scratch paper. It’s very important to lift the ExravOrganza off the paper right away. The paints dry very quickly and could make the paper stick to the ExtravOrganza when you try to lift it off.
- Skirt-top layer:
Remove paper backing from the 5 sheets of ExtravOrganza for the top layer of skirt.
This layer of skirt is done as a flounce, rather than simple gathering. It adds more of a tutu effect which I find quite whimsical. To create this simple flounce fold the ExtravOrganza in half and then in half again.
Cut a small ¼ circle at the folded edges then cut open from one edge. The size of the circle dictates how dramatic your flounce will be. Experiment with some scraps of fabric.
Fringe the straight edges of the skirt pieces. I usually like tidy fringes but on this project I took a page out of Kim’s book and made them rather wild.
Paint the flower accents. I accented all the flowers on this layer using the same three Lumiere colors: Sunset Gold, Pearl White and Pearl White/Lemon. Set aside.
Sleeves and neck piece. The sleeves are made by enlarging the flower image, the neck piece by reducing the image. BEFORE removing the paper backing, cut out the large flower or selection of flowers. I find it easier to see the edges of the flower shape before I take it off the paper and I can get more precise detail. (I recently did another project and forgot to leave the paper on—it was SO much harder to cut out!) It’s always a good idea to leave more flowers, only trimming away what you’re sure you don’t need at this time and check it on your doll form, you can always cut more away if you need to. When you are happy with these pieces pull the paper backing off and paint accents with Lumiere. Set aside.
- Paint the bunny. NOTE: Let each color dry before applying next color.
Start by painting the bunny from the waist up. I used Sherrill’s Sorbets Lemon for this but you can choose any color that compliments the flowers you printed on the ExtravOrganza. Remember that you can thin the paint up to 25% with water if it’s too thick right out of the bottle. Paint the outside of the ears with the body color and use a contrasting color for the inside (My choice: Lumiere Pearl White).
Paint the feet with Neopaque Brown or other color of your choice.
Paint the stripes on the legs. My colors were Lumiere Sunset Gold and Metallic Olive Green. I painted the stripes free hand, but here are a few tips to make things easier: begin by painting the legs one color up to the waist and to the brown at the feet. It would probably be a good idea to test your color choices to find out which one should go on top, as one may cover better than the other. When the first layer is dry mask the stripes with tape and paint the second color. Let dry and remove the tape. Create a decorative edge (like a scallop or a point) where the stripes meet the feet at the ankle. You don’t need to do anything special at the waist since it will be covered by the skirt and a ribbon applied at the end.
- Sew on the skirt. Do one layer at a time, this adds more poof at the waist which in turn increases the overall whimsy of the project.
Using the 5 pieces for the underskirt, run a gathering stitch (by hand or machine) on each piece of ExtravOrganza. I gathered mine by hand on the short edge for a longer underskirt.
Whip-stitch the bottom layer of the skirt onto the bunny at the waist.
Do the same for the 5 pieces of the top layer, running the gathering stitches on the edges where you cut the circles and whip-stitching to the doll at the waist.
- Sleeves and neck piece:
Hand stitch the large ExtravOrganza flowers for the sleeves at the shoulders.
Hand stitch the small ExtravOrganza flowers for the neck piece at the shoulders and in the back.
Attach the ribbon at the waist by gathering and sewing beads at even intervals to cover the whip stitching. Tie a big bow in the back.
Sew bead accents on the toes.
Attach spectacles by hand stitching at the ears.
- Now Bert, our Daffodil Queen, is all ready for the Easter Parade!!!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 44 Easy Craft Projects For Adults
- 5 Homemade Gifts for Boyfriend He Actually Wants
- "17 Easy Crafts With Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn" free eBook
- Personalized Message Frame
- DIY Guitar Picks
- Custom Explosion Boxes
- Basket Hostess Gift Ideas
- 23 DIY Geeky Gifts for Nerds
- Mother's Day Wreath
- Crystal Beads Bracelet
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bush Baby T-Shirt Craft
- Watermelon Tie Dye Design
- Dipped Shorts Tie Dye Technique
- Quirky Tie Dye Bracelet
- Frog Coin Purse
- Precious Panda Knit Hat
- Men's Woodsy Knit Cowl Pattern
- Chunky Funky One Day Blanket
- Sweet-ish Knit Hat Pattern
- How to Dye a Shirt with RIT Dye