Our Favorite Garden Crafting Ideas
By: The Editors of FaveCrafts.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Crafts for the garden are a great way to decorate your home while still going green. Why not make something useful by using your garden plants for crafts? We have included everything from our favorite garden pot to the ultimate gardening gift. There are even some easy garden crafts for kids so you can make a family project out of these garden crafts. Check out these how-to garden crafts for some fun crafting ideas this summer!
Table of Contents
Stamp the perfect gifts for a gardener using vegetables and Tulip® 3D Fashion Paint™!
Designed and decorated by Cheryl Ball
- Tulip® 3D Fashion Paint
- 65000 White
- 65032 Leaf Green
- 65038 Black
- 65049 Orange
- 65130 True Red
- 65134 Crab Apple
- 65408 Gold Metallics
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kits™
- Vibrant Colors
- Aleene's® Platinum Bond™ 7800 All-Purpose Adhesive
- Apron, white or natural all cotton
- Sponges, make-up wedges
- Vegetables, assorted
- Garden shoes, plastic
- Corrugated cardboard
- Pinking shears
- Chalk, white
- Plastic trash bags
- Dowels: ¼” x 12” or scrap wood desired number for garden stakes
- Paper towels
- Tote bag, light color
- Canvas fabric, ¼ yard 100% cotton
1. Cover work surface with trash bag. Wet apron, tote and fabric then wring dry. If desired, use spin cycle of washer. Place on work surface and crumple following tie-dye instruction sheet.
2. Wearing gloves from kit, fill Lime dye bottle with water then shake until thoroughly mixed. Squeeze dye on apron, tote and fabric, turning and squeezing fabric to desired look. Cover with plastic and let stand 4-6 hours. Fill washer with full load of water and a small amount of laundry soap. Wash pieces then dry in dryer or line dry. Iron smooth.
3. Place tote and apron on work surface. Cut vegetable in half lengthwise as straight as possible. Place cut side down on several layers of paper towel to remove excess moisture.
4. Squeeze a puddle of 3-D Paint on foil. Tap flat end of sponge into paint then pounce an even coat on vegetable. Immediately stamp where desired. Hold vegetable in one hand then slip other hand under fabric and press from behind, this will ensure good detail. Stamp vegetables with the following colors: Onion – Stamp White detail with Gold Metallic. Beet - Stamp and detail with True Red and Leaf Green. Lettuce - Stamp with Crab Apple and Leaf Green detail with Leaf Green. Asparagus - Stamp and detail with Leaf Green. Bell Pepper - Stamp and detail with True Red, Orange and Leaf Green. Carrot - Stamp with Orange detail with Orange and Leaf Green. Artichoke - Stamp and detail with Leaf Green. Jalapeño Pepper - Stamp with Orange, True Red detail with True Red, Orange and Leaf Green. Let dry.
5. Shoes: Use Orange to create carrot then use Leaf Green for leaves. Add equally spaced Black squares along top edge.
6. Use chalk to lightly draw on desired lettering. Fill in with Black and let dry. Add squares of Black along top edge of pocket and apron. Let dry.
7. Tote: Repeat steps for stamping vegetables then use white chalk to lightly draw on words. Add Black to words and wide stripes along top edge. Let dry.
8. Garden Stakes: Stamp and detail desired vegetables on dyed fabric. Determine size then cut edges with pinking shears. Cut cardboard slightly smaller than fabric piece. Apply a thin even coat of adhesive to back of fabric. Press onto cardboard then smooth fabric to adhere. Glue dowel to back and let dry.
By: Tiffany Windsor for Inspired at Home
Spruce up garden pots in minutes with a coat of chalkboard paint, compliments of Tiffany Windsor of Inspired at Home. These make quick and easy Mother's Day gifts or hostess gifts. Say "Happy Birthday" or "Thanks" with a bit of chalk.
- Clay pots
- Spray or brush on chalkboard paint
- Blue painters tape
Use tape to block off any areas that you do not want painted. When using the spray, I use paper towels and tape to block off any larger areas that I do not want oversprayed. Following label directions, spray pot with chalkboard paint. Let each coat dry completely. Let set 24 hours. Rub entire surface of paint with chalk and wipe off. Then you’re ready to write any message. Change it up whenever you like!
Tiffany’s Designer Tips: I make these up by the dozen so that they are ready for any occasion. Since you can change the message, you can personalize them for any gift giving. Want to have some real colorful fun? Brush-on chalk paint is available in a variety of colors like red, pink and blue! What fun you and the kids will have making these pots!
- Butterfly Garden Stake
- Falling Leaves Mosaic Garden Stone
- Fun with Terra Cotta Pots
- Aged Terra Cotta Plaques
Courtesy of Arnold Grummer's
'Seed Paper' is paper you make with seeds in it. Plant the paper, watch it grow into flowers!
* Arnold Grummer's Seed Paper Flowers Activity Set
* Empty 16 oz sport drink or water bottle
* Bowl, 4" wide
* Kitchen terry towel
- Add 1 rounded teaspoon of paper pulp to bottle 3/4 full with water. Tear 2" x 3" piece of colorful tissue in small pieces and place in bottle as well.
- Shake pulp, water and tissue for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Add seeds, shake again for 10 seconds.
- Pour pulp into strainer placed in center of flower tool.
- Remove wet seed paper from tool by pushing strainer up and out of the flower tool.
- Use a sponge to remove water from wet pulp.
- Move strainer with pulp to terry towel. Press out water. Move to dry spot on towel. Press again.
- Peel pulp off strainer. Lay on counter top to dry.
- Repeat steps to make more seed paper discs.
- Use kit supplies to create flowers or cards.
- Add leaf and tag with planting instructions.
- Send or give your 'Seed Paper' flowers to people who will enjoy getting paper they can plant from you!
Location, Location, Location!
- To first set up your indoor garden, make sure you have an appopriate location where your plants will be in sunlight. Small plants are a great decoration for the kitchen counter, while you can set larger plants by the window. When you are just starting to plant, these bud vases are a great craft to try.
- If you are going to have plants in your house, they need to look good. For example, try this daisy vase in any room that needs a little bit of color. If silver foil fits in with your home decor better than the gold foil called for, just make the swap. You can even try using a colored vase to brighten up the room even more.
Get the Kids Involved
- Having a garden or plant can almost be like having a pet. It takes a lot of responsibility and care, but the rewards pay off in the end. Get your kids interested in helping out by giving them a plant of their own. This mohawk lamb is a great way to start. You can help your kids make this adorable lamb and watch it grow its "hair"!
- If you are planting some seeds inside and some outside, you need to remember when you put everything. You also should make a note for plants that need to be started inside but moved outside as the weather improves over the summer. This garden clipboard is a great way to stay organized, and it's so cute that you'll want to save it forever!
For more great garden crafts, click here for our garden crafts eBook!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques