This friendly plastic heart necklace from AMACO features lovely pearl accents. People will not believe you made this necklace yourself! The necklace makes a wonderful Mother's Day gift.
- Friendly Plastic Pellets, approximately 1/4 cup, Amaco
- Outline Sticker of choice
- Pearl-Ex or Perfect Pearls Mica Powders, Color of choice
- Alcohol Inks (coordinating colors of Mica powders)
- Rubbing Alcohol (91% )
- Small Liner brush
- Needle tool
- 2 eye pins
- Jump rings
- Clasp or Toggle
- Electric skillet
- Bowl of cold water
- Non-stick work surface
- Paper towels
- Cooking oil or Baby oil
- Clear two-part resin (optional)
- Squeeze bottle (only if using resin)
Hint: Coat hands with oil to prevent plastic from sticking. Add a drop or two of oil to your non-stick work surface. Cut pieces of craft sheet into small 4" x 4" sizes to work directly on.
- Heat water to approximately 160 degrees. The water should be just under a simmer. Hot, but not scalding or boiling to cause burns.
- Drop 1/2 of the 1/4 measuring cup of pellets into the water until they are transparent. Remove pellets from water. (hint: pick up any pieces that have floated away by dragging the clump of pellets to attach).
- Begin massaging a pinch of mica powder into the pellets a little at a time. The more opaque you desire, the more mica you will add.
- You will notice that as the plastic is removed from water it begins to stiffen. If the plastic becomes too stiff to work with, simply place back into water for a few seconds to re-soften. Repeat this process until the plastic is colored as desired.
- To shape the heart, roll plastic into a ball and flatten with hands. Create an indentation at the top and pull a point down at the bottom. (you may have to re-heat a couple of times to keep plastic soft).
- Place onto craft sheet and refine the heart shape. Place the craft sheet and heart into bowl of cold water to harden. Dry with paper towel.
- Spritz with alcohol to remove any oily residue so that sticker will adhere.
- Place outline sticker onto the heart where desired.
- Place drops of alcohol ink color onto your work surface and allow them to dry.
- Dip brush into alcohol. Then apply alcohol ink from your work surface to your brush. Paint on color as desired to accent your design.
- Heat the end of an eye pin and insert into heart. Repeat for other side.
- Optional finishing. Mix two part casting resin according to instructions. Place into a squeeze bottle. Outline the edges of the heart and fill in the center with the resin. Allow to dry according to manufacturers instructions.
- After resin has set. Attach to chain with jump rings and add toggle.