Paint a beautiful, patriotic container for your Fourth of July fireworks. With an Uncle Sam pattern, this project will be done in no time.
DecoArt Products Required
- DAO36 - True Blue
- DAO64 - Burnt Umber
- DAO78 - Flesh Tone
- DA129 - True Red
- DA166 - Deep Midnight Blue
- DA239 - Warm White
Craft Twinkles Writers
- DCTW02 - Silver
- DCTW03 - Gold
- DCTW05 - Christmas Red
- DA263 - Splendid Gold --- NEW!!
- DS51 - Staining/Antiquing Medium
Americana Spray Sealers
- DAS12 - Americana Gloss Spray
- 3" papier mache 3-D star
- Foam plate
- 1" foam brush
- 4 flat brush
- 20" length of 1" wide ribbon for handle
- Lo-temp glue gun
- Round papier mache wine box (4-1/2" wide x 12" high)
- Uncle Sam Pattern
Note: Allow paint to dry between applications. A hair dryer on low setting, at least 10" away from surface, can be used to speed drying process of brushed-on paint.
1. Remove handle of box.
2. Basecoat box and lid Deep Midnight Blue.
3. Basecoat star Warm White.
4. Transfer Uncle Sam pattern to front of box below lid area.
5. Use Flesh Tone to paint hands and face.
6. Use Warm White to paint hair, shirt, cuffs, and top section of hat.
7. Use True Red to paint bowtie, stripes on hat, pants, and alternate sides of star shape.
8. Use True Blue to paint hat rim and jacket; use end of liner brush to paint dot eyes.
9. Use Splendid Gold to paint jacket collar, shoes, and hatband.
10. Use liner brush and Warm White to paint stripes on pants; use end of brush to paint dots on jacket.
11. Use White Americana Writer to paint moustache, eyebrows, and swirls along edges of beard.
12. Mix one part Burnt Umber to four parts Staining/Antiquing Medium for shading. When all paint has dried, refer to pattern to apply shading with 1/4" flat brush, thinning and blending inwards. Apply shading to indentions of star. Glue star shape to center of box lid.
13. Use Gold Craft Twinkles to paint line along hatband and dots for buttons on shirt and cuffs.
14. Referring to photo, use Gold Craft Twinkles to paint fireworks with curvy lines and dots on sides of lid and box; repeat with Christmas Red Craft Twinkles and Silver Craft Twinkles. Allow all to dry thoroughly.
15. Spray box and lid with Americana Gloss Spray.
16. For handle, tie knot in one end of ribbon length; pull opposite end of ribbon from inside box through one hole. Re-enter box from outside through other hole and knot end of ribbon. (Be sure knot is large enough that it will not pull through hole)
For more great 4th of July craft ideas, download our free 4th of July eBook.