Uncle Sam Star Toss
By: Heidi Borchers of Inspired at Home
Use recycled oatmeal containers and bathroom tissue tubes to create patriotic decorations AND a fun game for kids on the 4th of July. Kids toss felt red, white and blue stars through the mouth hole of the Uncle Sam. You can create just the smaller Uncle Sams for party favors or candy holders at a 4th of July party. This great project comes to us from Heidi Borchers of Inspired at Home.
- Aleene’s® Original Tacky Glue™
- Scraps of batting
For large Uncle Sam:
- 2 (42 oz.) oatmeal containers
- Craft knife
- Felt: red, blue, white, peach
- Lightweight cardboard
- 2 (3/4”) wiggle eyes
- Pinking Shears
For small Uncle Sam:
- 1 bathroom tissue tube
- Lightweight cardboard
- Paper: peach, white, blue red
- 2 (1/2”) wiggle eyes
- 8 gold stars
- To make hat for large Uncle Sam, draw a line around 1 oatmeal container 5” from bottom. Cut off and discard top part of container. Glue red felt to container to cover sides; let dry. Cut a blue felt circle to fit bottom of container (top of hat); glue in place and let dry. Cut 9 (1” x 5”) strips from white. Referring to photo, glue strips ¾” apart vertically around hat; let dry. Cut 1 (1” x 17-1/4”) strip from red. With edges aligned, glue strip around open end of hat; let dry. Transfer pattern and cut 9 small stars from white; glue to red strip and let dry.
- For hat brim, cut 1 (8-1/2” diameter) circle from cardboard and 2 from blue felt. Glue 1 felt circle to each side of cardboard circle; let dry. Center and glue open end of hat to brim; let dry.
- For mouth, draw a 2” x 3” oval for mouth on remaining oatmeal container, with bottom of oval 3” from bottom of container. Cut out. Glue peach felt to container to cover sides, clipping curves and folding felt to inside around mouth opening; let dry. Transfer pattern and cut 1 nose from peach felt; glue in place. Glue wiggle eyes in place. Let dry. Cut 1 (1/2” x 16-1/2”) strip from white. With edges aligned, glue strip around bottom of container; let dry. Transfer pattern and cut 1 bow tie from blue felt; glue in place and let dry. Cut scraps of batting for eyebrows, beard, and sideburns; glue in place and let dry. Cut 1 (5” x 7-1/2”) piece of batting and glue to top back of head for hair; let dry.
- For blue star, cut 2 (4”) squares of blue felt. Transfer large star pattern to 1 felt square. Holding squares together and using pinking shears, cut 2 stars, cutting through both layers at same time. Squeeze a line of glue around edge of 1 star, leaving a 1” area unglued. Glue stars together and let dry. Fill star with sand and glue 1” opening closed. Let dry. Repeat to make 1 white star and 1 red star.
- For small Uncle Sam, using tube as a guide, cut a circle of cardboard to fit end of tube and glue to bottom; let dry. Cut 1 (3-1/4” x 6-1/4”) piece of peach paper and glue around bottom end of tube for face. Cut 1 (1-3/4” x 6-1/4”) piece of white paper and glue around top of tube for hat. Let dry. For hat brim, cut 1 (2-3/4” diameter) circle from cardboard and 2 from blue paper. Using tube as a guide, cut 1 circle from center of each 2-3/4” circle. Glue 1 paper brim to each side of cardboard brim; let dry. Slip brim over tube to cover seam between white paper and peach paper; glue in place. Let dry. Referring to photo, cut a scrap of peach paper for nose and a small oval from red for mouth and glue in place; let dry. Glue wiggle eyes in place; let dry. Cut 1 (1/4” x 6-1/4”) strip of blue paper and glue around bottom of tube. Cut 8 (3/8” x 1-1/2” strips of red paper. Referring to photo, glue strips 3/8” apart vertically around hat. Cut 1 (1/2” x 6-1/4”) strip of blue paper and glue around tube above hat brim. Let dry. Glue stars around blue strip. Let dry. Cut scraps of batting for eye brows, beard, and sideburns; glue in place and let dry.
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts