Patriotic Glass Ball Centerpiece
By: Annabelle Keller, CPD for KRYLON
Use glass ball ornaments and mirror-like paint from Krylon to create a dazzling centerpiece for the 4th of July. Craft these fourth of july centerpieces for a patriotic party.
- KRYLON® One-Step LOOKING GLASS® Mirror-Like Paint, Stained Glass Colors #9020 Red and #9021 Blue, Premium Metallic #1030 Sterling Silver and Interior/Exterior #1502 Flat White.
- Clear glass bowl. Ours measured 8-1/2 inches in diameter by 4 inches tall.
- Clear glass ball tree ornaments. (2) 50 mm, (6) 70 mm and (3) 80 mm. The size and shape of your bowl will determine the number and size of balls you will need. We used (8) balls in the bowl and (3) 70 mm balls were used for accents.
- Grafix® FUNKY® Film. 1 each 6 by 8 inch sheets of Dark Blue Stars, Silver Sequins and Cherry Red. Grafix®, 19499 Miles Rd., Cleveland, OH 44128. www.grafixarts.com.
- Metallic Silver Shredded Basket Filler. (1) package each of wide and finely shredded.
- Glass cleaner and lint free cloth.
- Cardboard box for spray booth.
- Plastic bag.
- Painter's tape.
- Newspapers or plastic sheeting to protect painting area.
- Paper cups to dry white balls.
- Lengths of dowel rod to fit thru ornament hangers.
- Cardboard boxes to hang painted ornaments across to dry.
- McGill star punches - (1) hand, (1) Long reach and (1) Jumbo Art.
- Straight pin.
- Ruler with millimeter divisions.
- FISKARS® 8 inch Non-Stick™ Scissors.
Follow all manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clean and dry bowl and balls.
- Protect outside of bowl with plastic bag and Painter's tape. Spray inside of bowl with LOOKING GLASS® Mirror-Like Paint.
- Painting Balls. For white balls only, remove hanger and spray short bursts of the white paint inside the balls. Rotate until entire inside surface is covered. Pour out excess paint and set upside down on paper cup to dry. Hang other balls on dowel rods to paint exterior and hang across box to dry. We painted (1) small, (2) medium and (1) large ball white. We sprayed (1) small and (1) medium ball Sterling Silver, (2) medium and (1) large ball Blue Stained Glass and (1) medium and (1) large with Red Stained Glass.
- Decorating Balls. Use a straight pin to help remove the paper backing from the film. If you are making the white ball with red strips, cut (4) 8 inch by 2 mm strips of Cherry Red film with Non-Stick™ Scissors before punching any stars. Starting at the hanger, apply these strips vertically around a medium white ball, crossing at the bottom. Punch out and place a medium blue star over the place where the strips cross. Decorate remaining balls with desired colors of stars punched from the sheets of film. For the balls in the bowl we used the Dark Blue Stars and Cherry Red and Silver Sequins film to make 10 to 12 large stars for the large balls, 14 -18 medium stars for the medium balls and 30 -35 small stars for the 50 mm balls. For accent pieces we used (18) medium Silver Sequin stars on the red ball and (9) large Silver Sequin stars on the blue ball.
- Assembling the bowl. We used 8 balls in our bowl. Line bottom of bowl with wide basket filler. Nestle some balls in the filler hanger side down. Pile remaining balls in bowl. Tuck small amounts of the finely shredded filler between the balls around the edge of the bowl.