Paper Star Fourth of July Centerpieces
By: Rachel Theall for Paper Trunk
Make your own pretty and patriotic Fourth of July centerpieces featuring perfect paper stars. Follow this step-by-step Paper Trunk tutorial to create your own 2-sided Fourth of July centerpieces.
- 2 Sheets of red and white striped 12x12 scrapbook paper "Wild Love"
- from Paper Trunk Maybe Baby line
- 1 Sheet of 12x12 designer Kraft paper from the Paper Trunk Krafty Collection
- 3 Journal spots from the Paper Trunk Krafty Collection
- 1 set of white "Benny" alphabet stickers from Paper Trunk
- 12 inch long strips of paper from the Paper Trunk Rockabilly Collection Small scallop border Fiskars punch
- 6 petal flower punch
- Tattered Angels Glimmer mists, blue and red
- Colorbox blue pigment ink
- Black Soot Distress Ink by Ranger
- Recycled craft sticks from rub-on packages
- Wide ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- Scrapbooking adhesive
- Recycled cappuccino can
- Red, white, and blue plastic bags
- Follow the instructions here for making a 5 point star using a 12x12 inch piece of paper and one cut. Use the star pattern to cut a star from the red and white striped paper and the sheet of kraft paper.
- Fold the red and white striped stars in half at each of the points. From the center point of the star, each arm of the star will be folded so that the fold is up. The part of each fold that does not go out to the arm of the star is folded so that the crease goes down. When finished, the stars will look like barn stars. With the star folded flat cut about 1 inch off the peak in the center part of the star so that you have a star shaped hole in the middle of the star when it is unfolded.
- One of the red and white striped stars will go on each side of the Kraft paper. Glue the tip of each star arm to the tip of the Kraft paper star arms using a hot glue gun or quick drying adhesive.
- Cut two journal spots from the Kraft paper for your fourth of july centerpieces.
- Punch a scalloped border from the Paper Trunk Rockabilly paper.
- Cut 3/4 of the way through the paper from the straight edge toward the top of each of the scallops. Over lap each of the cuts so that a circular shape can be made out of the strip of paper. Glue the scalloped strip to the back of the circular journal spot. Ink the edges of the scalloped border with blue ink. Make two paper roses using the flower punch (there are quite a few tutorials on this on the Internet).
- Spray blue Glimmer Mist on the roses.
- Glue one rose to the center of each journal spot 9. Add Happy 4th of July around the edge of the circular journal spot.
- To make the "th" on 4th trim down the "t" and "h" letters. Add July 4th around the rose on the second journal spot, also trimming the "t" and "h".
- Using a hot glue gun, adhere the journal spots over the star-shaped holes in the center of the red and white striped stars
- Add hot glue to the top of a Popsicle stick and glue it to the Kraft star by sticking it underneath the red and white striped star. Do this on both sides of the Kraft star.
- Glue two additional sticks to the bottom of the first sticks so that the support for the star is three sticks long.
- Tie two bows from the wide ribbon and glue them to each side of the Popsicle sticks.
- Cut a strip of Rockabilly paper wide enough to cover an empty cappuccino can. On the black and white side of the paper, spray red Glimmer Mist along one of the long edges and blue glimmer mist along the other long edge.
- Glue the red, white, and blue strip of Rockabilly paper to the can. It may not go all the way around.
- Cut a third journal spot from the Krafty Collection paper.
- Cut out a star shape from a piece of scrap paper to create a mask. You do not need the star shape, you need the star-shaped hole in the piece of paper. Place the mask on the journal spot and spray red Glimmer Mist on the bottom of the star and blue Glimmer Mist on the top of the star.
- Spell out the word "celebrate" in Benny Alphabet stickers.
- Glue the journal spot to the can to cover the gap between the ends of the paper or the seam where the ends came together.
- Stuff the can with red, white, and blue plastic bags.
- Place the star in the can and put your new centerpiece on display!