Decorate a plain, star-shaped box with paint and beads for a fun 4th of July craft. The July 4th beaded star box makes a great summer decoration as well as a place to keep candy.
- star shaped wooden box
- acrylic craft paint in white, and pearl blue
- Diamond Beadlets®
- 1 inch Treasure Tape
- Treasure Tape 4x6 sheet
- Kreinik #32 Braid: 033, 094
- Kreinik #16 Braid: 3214, 339
- Kreinik #12 Braid: 018V
- Kreinik 1/8" Ribbon: 018V
- shallow pan or tray
- Paint your box. To achieve the look shown in the model, first paint your box pearl blue. While the paint is still wet, work a little white into the blue. This will give a nice two-tone effect. Allow your box to dry completely.
- Trace the lid of the box on the white backer side of your 4x6 tape sheet.Cut out the shape, making your cuts just inside the lines you traced on all sides. Peel the white backer off one arm of the star and position it on your lid. Remove the rest of the backer and press down your tape, working from one side to the other to remove any air pockets. Apply a strip of 1" Treasure Tape along the bottom edge of your box. Press with your fingers along the lengths of tape to adhere firmly and remove any air pockets.
- Remove the red liner from the tape on your lid. (You can use the liner to prevent your hands from sticking to the other pieces of tape while you work and to help press the threads onto the tape without your fingers sticking!) Using the Dimensional threads, create a design on the tape. You can follow our model or create your own pattern. Set the lid aside when finished.
- Remove the liner from the tape border and continue to embellish. We started each new thread piece at one of the inside corners of the star, so the ends are protected and less visible. Press the ends firmly into the tape to prevent fraying.
- Once you have finished embellishing, place your box and lid in a pan. Pour Diamond Beadlets over them, swirling the beadlets with your fingers to cover the design. Tap to remove excess beadlets, and your beautiful box is ready to display!