String these Fourth of July Paper Lanterns around your yard at dusk for a bit of patriotic ambiance. This 4th of July craft is easy to make and will add a lot to your barbecue.
- 320B - All Night Media ® Wood-Mounted Stamps - Small Spiral
- 429 - FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors - Winter White, 2 oz.
- 10 sheets vellum
- Blue decorative paper
- Red decorative paper
- 100-light white string
- Double-sided tape
- Sharp scissors
- Paper punch
- Metal ruler (or stiff card stock)
- Large plastic lid
Making Paper Lanterns:
- Cut out paper pattern.
- Place pattern over two sheets of vellum. Cut out paper lanterns (two
pattern pieces make one lantern).
- Use paper punch where indicated on pattern to punch hole opening through
both sheets of velum. Clip opening slightly with scissors.
- Fold both vellum sheets over edge of metal ruler along fold lines
- Repeat procedure for the number of paper lanterns required for light
Stamping Decorative Papers:
(one sheet of each color will decorate 4 paper lanterns)
- Fold both a red and blue decorative paper sheet into fourths.
- Place acrylic paint on plastic lid, rolling paint onto stamp decor roller.
- Roll paint onto broad stripe stamp.
- Position and press stamp onto one section of folded red paper.
- Repeat process to finish red paper sheet.
- Roll paint onto small spiral stamp.
- Position and press stamp onto one section of folded blue paper.
- Repeat process to finish blue paper sheet (keep in mind that each
section will be trimmed to fit from of paper lantern, so watch placement of
- Repeat stamping procedure for required number of paper lanterns.
Assembly and Final Detail:
- Trim red and blue decorative papers to fit fronts of paper lanterns.
- Attach red and blue decorative papers to paper lantern fronts only with
double stick tape.
- Overlap front onto back of paper lantern at top edge and attach with
double stick tape. Slip light through punched hole (paper lantern should
rest against light string covering entire light).
- Attach sides of paper lantern with double stick tape to form paper
- Dot paper lantern fronts with gold glitter glue and allow to dry.