Spring Butterfly Felt Magnet
By: Angie Wilhite for Kreinik
Extra-fine metallic braid gives this colorful felt butterfly a touch of shimmer. Kids will love assembling these butterfly magnets from the felt pieces and an adult can do the blanket-stitch.
- Kreinik Very Fine (#4) Braid in 092 Star Pink and 012 Purple
- 4" x 6" piece of black felt*
- 4" x 8" piece of pink felt*
- 4" x 8" piece of lavender felt*
- 8" x 12" Pellon Wonder-Under transfer web
- 8" x 12" Pellon Fusible Fleece
- Beacon™ FABRI-TAC™ permanent adhesive
- 1/2-inch x 1 1/4-inch adhesive magnet strip
- Pressing cloth
- Cut two 2" x 3" black felt pieces, two 4" x 4" pink felt pieces and two 4" x 4" lavender felt pieces.
- The transfer web and fusible fleece give the project stability. Cover felt with pressing cloth before fusing.
- Following manufacturer's directions, bond fusible fleece to one black felt piece, one pink felt piece and one lavender felt piece. Bond transfer fusing web to the remaining pieces. Remove paper backing. Position felt pieces wrong sides together; fuse.
- Cut body from black felt.
- Cut two wings each from lavender and pink felt.
- Blanket-stitch around the black body and lavender wings with Very Fine (#4) Braid 092 Star Pink.
- Blanket-stitch around the pink wings with Very Fine (#4) Braid 012 Purple.
- Glue wings to back of butterfly body.
- Remove paper from adhesive magnet strip. Press strip to back of butterfly.