Father's Day Magazine and File Holder
By: By Chris Thornton-Deason for Delta Creative
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This handmade father's day craft from Delta Creative is a great gift for the dad that loves to fish or just has a need for some organization. Use paint to give this craft a custom appeal. It will stand out in any dad's office or den.
- Delta Creative Ceramcoat® Acrylic Paint
- Red Iron Oxide 2020
- Golden Brown 2054
- Timberline Green 2533
- Sandstone 2402
- Hippo Grey 2090
- Dark Burnt Umber 2527
- Terra Cotta 2046
- Straw 2078
- Gecko 2647
- White 2505
- Black 2506
- Delta Creative Ceramcoat® All-Purpose Sealer
- Delta Creative Ceramcoat® Gel Stain Medium
- Delta Creative Ceramcoat® Satin Exterior/Interior Varnish
- Surfaces- available at Michaels
- DME UNF File Box
- DME UNF Photo Box with lid
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Brushes
- Shader Series 7300 Size #6, #12
- Wash Series 7550 1”
- Liner Series 7350 Size #1
- Brush Tub
- Graphite transfer paper black
- Palette Paper
- Tracing paper
- Paper towel
- Decoupage papers of choice
- Low- tack painter’s tape
- Craft glue
- Soft cloth
- Apply even coat of All-Purpose Sealer to bottom of box only using 1” wash brush, Allow to dry and sand with fine grit sandpaper. Do not apply sealer to areas to be stained because the sealer will repel the stain.
- Apply mix of equal parts Gel Stain Medium and Hippo Grey to stained areas using a soft cloth. Allow to dry and sand lightly.
- Apply pattern arranging to fit your pieces. By giving you the different components of the pattern, it gives you more freedom to pick different surfaces to paint on. What fun!
- Do lettering on lid Hippo Grey using #6 shader.
- Basecoat fish Sandstone using 1” wash brush.
- Float down back, fins and tail Timberline Green, belly White, center of belly Gecko using 1” wash brush.
- Float darker shadows down back, on fins, shadows on head and stripe through center all Timberline Green plus touch Dark Burnt Umber. Using same dark color do line-work using #1 liner.
- Lightly glaze head and back Terra Cotta using 1” wash brush.
- Float highlights and scales White plus touch of Sandstone, reinforce brightest highlights White using #12 shader.
- Basecoat eye Terra Cotta, float shadow Red Iron Oxide and highlight Straw. Using #1 liner do pupil and line with Dark Burnt Umber.
- Basecoat center of compass Sandstone using 1” wash brush. Using same brush float shadow Golden Brown and highlights White.
- Basecoat needle, edge and do scroll work all in Golden Brown using #1 liner. Float shadows Dark Burnt Umber and highlights Sandstone plus touch of White Using #6 shader.
- Using #1 liner thin Black with water to consistency of heavy cream and do lettering.
- Basecoat body Straw and head Terra Cotta using #6 shader. Float shadows on body Terra Cotta and head Red Iron Oxide using #6 shader. Float darker shadow along bottom Dark Burnt Umber. Do hooks Black and highlight with White using #1 liner.
To Finish Box:
- Band top of lid Hippo Grey using #6 shader about 1/4” wide. Line Red Iron Oxide and Black using #1 liner. Base sides of lid Black.
- Basecoat bottom of box Sandstone using 1” wash brush.
- Apply low-tack painters tape to sides of box leaving 1-1/4” between each piece. Using 1” wash brush paint Hippo Grey. Using #1 liner do Black through center of grey, Golden Brown down sides of grey and Red Iron Oxide through center of sandstone.
To Finish Magazine Holder:
- Apply pattern for Dad and paint Black using #6 shader.
- Band top edge Hippo Grey using #6 shader. Line Red Iron Oxide and Black using #1 liner.
- Apply as many coats of Satin varnish as desired.
- Print saying on paper of choice and glue in place following directions on label.
North or south
east or west,
fishing is what
I like best!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Cozy Cabin Slippers for Men
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas free eBook
- "Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010" eBook
- "Father's Day Crafts" eBook
- Manly Coffee Jacket
- Upcycled Back Scratcher with Video
- Golf Ball Flowers for Father's Day
- Dad and Son Tie Dye Camo Set
- Dad's Golfing Frames
- "Tie"riffic Father's Day Cards
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Felt Organizers Set
- Recycled Milk Carton Stationery Organizer
- Vintage Lamb Crochet Toddler Hat Pattern
- Witch Hat Topiary Halloween Centerpiece
- Hemp Cord
- Winter Frost DIY Succulent Planters
- New Year's Ball Drop Display
- Absolutely Adorable DIY Mason Jar Candle
- Metallic Glittered Star Assortment
- Cute Crochet Macarons