There's a new guy in town, so move over Mr. Potato Head! What child won't love making their very own Mister Egghead, he's a funny fellow they can play with even after the crafting session is over with his interchangeable features!
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Eggs: 6"; 2 3/8", one each
- Balls: 4"; 2"; 1 1/2"; 1", one each
- Assorted acrylic paints, your choice
- Plastic serrated knife
- 9" x 12" felt sheets: black; white; your choice of assorted colors
- Adhesive-backed Velcro™ dots
- Wooden skewers
- Wooden toothpicks
- Disposable palette
- Paper towels
- 1" foam brush or medium flat paintbrush
- Heavyweight tall drinking glasses
- White, thick craft glue
- Using a plastic serrated knife, cut a small slice from wide end of 6" foam egg to flatten.
- Cut 4" ball in half. Cut a small slice from round side of one half ball to flatten. Note: Reserve remaining half ball for a future project.
- Press and twist flat side of egg onto flat side of half ball until snug. Glue pieces together, inserting toothpicks between pieces for extra hold.
- Paint egg head and half-ball base, using your choice of colors. Let dry.
- Cut 2" ball and 2 3/8" egg in half lengthwise for ears. Cut a small slice from 1" and 1 1/2" foam balls to flatten for noses. Insert a wooden skewer into cut edge of each shape to serve as a handle while painting. Paint shapes, using your choice of colors. Stand skewers in drinking glasses until paint dries thoroughly.
- Separate Velcro dots into hook (rough) halves and loop (soft) halves. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply hook halves to egg head where nose and ears will be positioned. Apply loop halves to cut edge of ears and noses. Match corresponding dots and press them together to temporarily adhere foam shapes to character.
- Using photo as a guide, cut out facial features and accessories from felt, including fringed hair, eyebrows, eye whites, pupils, smiling mouth, puckered mouth, bow tie loops, and bow tie center knot. Press felt against foam to temporarily adhere cutouts to character.
- Mix and match felt and foam pieces as desired to give Mr. Egghead a variety of fun and funky looks. Use your imagination to create additional pieces for your game.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
This craft project was featured in 13 Kids Crafts for Father's Day. See them all here.