As your child finishes a book, the book worm from FloraCraft grows with a new ball for his body. Pick a different color for each segment. Parents can help print book titles on each body segment or pin cardstock with book titles.
STYROFOAM* Brand Foam:
- Balls: 3", one (head); 2-1/2", one for each book read (body); 3/4", two (antennae)
- Disc, 6”
- Acrylic paints, assorted bright colors
- Purple chenille stems, three or more
- 3/4" wiggle eyes, two
- 1/2" pink pompom, one
- Felt scraps, assorted colors
- Ribbon (for bow)
- Paper Plate
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Wire cutters
- Serrated knife
- Cardstock, and black marking pen (optional)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Insert a toothpick into each foam ball to use as a handle while painting, paint each ball the desired color and pick into disc to dry.
- Attach head and body foam balls with chenille stem couplings. To make couplings, cut chenille stem into 1-1/2" lengths and bend each in a U shape. Dip the ends of one U-shape chenille stem into glue; press the ends into back of 3" head ball, leaving a small loop protruding. Hook a second U-shape chenille stem onto this loop, dip the ends into glue, and then press them into the first 2-1/2" body segment ball. Repeat to connect the remaining body segments. If desired, shape soft, natural curves in bookworm’s extended body.
- Glue wiggle eyes to front of head with a pink pompom nose centered in between. Cut a smiling mouth from felt and glue to head. Add other felt facial features as desired. Glue hat to top of head.
- Cut two 3"- 4" chenille stem lengths. Insert and glue one end of each stem in a 3/4" ball and opposite end into head on either side of hat, forming the antennae.
- Continue to add a 2-1/2" ball to worm for each book child reads. Optional: Paint book titles on each body segment or pin on small pieces of cardstock with titles printed on them.