Create an adorable Easter mama and baby chick figurine using STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam and felt. It makes a great table decoration that guests will love.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Balls: 1-1/2", one; 1", two
- Eggs: 2-1/2" x 1-7/8", two
- Felt: light yellow, 9" x 12"; white, 9" x 12"; lavender, 3" x 4"; pink, 1" x 12"; baby blue, 1" square; lemon frost plush, 6" x 21"
- Black beads: 3mm, four; 4mm, two
- Serrated knife
- Old candle
- Straight pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
- Wax serrated knife blade with old candle. Cut a 1/3 slice lengthwise from one egg; the 1/3 slice will be Mama chick's front and the 2/3 slice will be her back. Cut remaining egg in half; save one half for a future project. Press foam balls on a rigid surface to slightly flatten one side.
- Using patterns, cut out felt pieces as indicated. From lemon plush felt, use a compass to cut following circles: one 4" for Mama's head and two 3" for babies' heads.
- Center 1-1/2" ball, body front, and body back flat side up on wrong side of corresponding felt pieces. Wrap felt around edges of foam onto flat edge and pin at top, bottom, and center of each side. Adjust excess fabric between pins and then glue felt in place. Remove pins. Trim excess felt as necessary. Repeat, covering 1" balls for babies' heads and the half egg.
- Pair felt beaks and glue horizontally to the center of each head. Glue along base only so beaks appear open.
- Poke scissors tip through felt to create two small eyeholes above beak on each chick. Glue beads in holes for eyes, using 4mm for Mama chick and 3mm for baby chicks.
- Using photo as a guide, glue small chick heads to flat top of half egg. Glue bow ties to chicks.
- Glue Mama's front to her back, flat sides together. Glue her head to small end of body. Cut two 3" x 1/2" strips from light yellow felt. Roll strips into cylinders and glue close together to center bottom of body for legs. Glue legs to back of feet.
- Pair each lemon frost plush felt wing with a light yellow wing and glue wrong sides together. Fold each wing in half with plush side showing and glue along the straight edge only. Using photo as a guide, glue straight edge of wings to opposite sides of body.
- Wrap and glue straight edge of hat around Mama chick's head. Cut a 10" x 1/4" strip from pink felt and tie in a small bow. Glue bow to Mama's neck for hat strings.
- Glue half egg to one side of Mama so that she can stand.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.