Easy Easter Bonnet Crafts, Free Easter Cards, Religious Easter History, Videos, Tips and More
By: The Editors of FaveCrafts.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
The religious aspects of the sacred Easter holiday have sprouted modern traditions like wearing Easter bonnets and creating Easter baskets for children. The Editors at FaveCrafts have put together some of our favorite Easter craft projects – to make celebrating with your family even easier - along with some tips and tricks, and a bit of religious history.
Table of Contents
How to Make an Easter Bonnet: Craft Projects for Kids
History of the Easter Bonnet
Free Religious Easter Card Project: Beaded Easter Cross Card
More Free Easter Card Ideas
Personalized Easter Basket Liners
Easter Basket Lining Tips
More Free Easter Craft Projects
How to make an Easter Bonnet: Craft Projects for Kids
Simple Paper Plate Bonnet
• Have kids decorate paper plates any way they wish. Use pastel paper, markers, stickers, glitter and construction paper to create an Easter design. Punch two holes in the sides of the plate and run a string through to tie around the child’s chin.
Straw Hat Bonnet
• Use an old straw hat (or get an inexpensive one from a craft store) and let kids decorate with artificial flowers and ribbon. Using the same method as above, run an elastic band or long piece of ribbon through the bonnet and tie under child’s chin.
Bunny Ears Bonnet
• Glue together a paper bowl and paper plate to create a hat shape. Cut the paper plate into a brim, leaving about ½ inch border around the edge of the bowl. Allow kids to paint and decorate the hat using poster paint. Once the hat is dry, you can cut bunny ears out of construction paper and lets kids paint the outside the color of the hat, and the inside a lighter shade. To finish the bonnet, cut slits into the paper bowl top to fit in bunny ears and glue or tape to the inside of the bonnet.
The History of the Easter Bonnet
Falling right in with the tradition of wearing new clothes for Easter – in sync with spring representing birth and renewal – the Easter bonnet was made famous by Irving Berlin in the early 20th Century in a reference to the Easter parade in New York City:
In your Easter bonnet,
With all the frills upon it,
You’ll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade.
The Easter parade began in New York in the 1870s and originally was made up of churchgoers carrying flowers from St. Thomas Church to St. Luke’s Church. Today the Easter Bonnet is worn by women and girls to Easter Church services and often to parades. The hats are usually wide-brimmed and decorating with flowers, ribbon or other festive adornments.
Free Religious Easter Card Project: Beaded Easter Cross Card
By Treasure It for Kreinik
Create this beaded Easter Card using Treasure Tape and Diamond Beadlets. This makes a great project for kids that they can give as a gift when they are done.
- Purple blank card, 5" x 7" and matching envelope
- 1/2-inch-wide polka dot ribbon
- Yellow construction paper
- Scraps of brightly colored wrapping paper
- Kreinik #32 Braid 095 Starburst
- 1/4" roll of Treasure Tape
- 3/4" roll of Treasure Tape
- Diamond Beadlets®
- Shallow pan or tray
- Lay a strip of 1/4" Treasure Tape along the top and bottom edge of the card front. Remove the red liner to expose the sticky tape, and lay the polka-dot ribbon on the sticky strips.
- Cut out a cross shape from the yellow construction paper, making sure the cross is 3/4 of an inch wide.
- Lay pieces of 3/4" Treasure Tape on your purple cardstock in the shape of a cross. Remove the red liner to expose the sticky part, and lay the construction paper cross right on top.
- Lay strips of 3/4" Treasure Tape on top of the yellow cross. Remove the red liner to expose the sticky top.
- Outline the cross with the #32 Braid, pressing the thread onto the tape to adhere.
- Cut up or tear pieces of wrapping paper and lay on the yellow cross, to resemble a mosaic.
- When decorating is complete, lay your card in a shallow pan or tray and cover remaining areas with Diamond Beadlets.
Watch this video for tips and tricks on personalized Easter basket liners and how to select what type of synthetic grass is best for your child’s Easter basket.
- Make your Easter baskets authentic with real grass! Two weeks before Easter, line a basket with aluminum foil and potting soil. Sprinkle grass seed, cover with a small amount of soil and moisten. Cover the top with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place. Once the grass has begun sprouting, take off the plastic wrap and allow to continue growing. Water daily and in a few weeks you will have a basket filled with grass!
- If you want to get away from using plastic grass, tissue paper and lace doilies make great (and easy!) Easter basket liners.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Yarn Wrapped Spring Duck
- "Hop into Spring: Easter Craft and Recipe eBook"
- Crochet Easter Eggs Wreath
- 20 Easter Baskets to Make
- "Crafts for Easter: Blogger Edition 2009" eBook
- Mini Cupcake Easter Baskets
- Crafts with Large Plastic Easter Eggs and More Easter Fun!
- 25 Simple Crafts for Easter
- Tiny Easter Bunnies
- Sock Bunny
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Starburst Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern
- Easy Side Table Skirting Tutorial
- Thought Bubble Bulletin Board Design
- Valentine's Day Mini Dress Card
- Feather Heart and Valentine's Day DIY Photo Props
- You Are MINT to Be My Valentine
- Vintage Valentine's Day Decor
- Valentine's Day Sock Monkey Coffee Cozy Pattern
- Green Tree Handmade Cards
- Desert Hope Crochet Slouch Beanie