Everyday tiles become small objects of art when adhered to STYROFOAM™ brand foam. Create a lovely mosaic for display indoors or out. You'll want to display these China Tile Mosaic Eggs even after Easter is over.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- China tiles, 3/8", 1/2 c. each: pink; blue; turquoise
- Latex ceramic tile adhesive
- White tile grout
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Palette knife
- Small disposable bowl
- Flexible rubber spatula
- Bucket of water
- Household sponge
- Clean, soft rag
- Rubber gloves
- Tile nipper
- Use marker to draw spiral around foam egg, beginning at narrow end and curving toward wide end, or draw custom pattern.
- Use palette knife to spread 1/8"-thick layer of tile adhesive onto small area of egg, along marker line. Note: Rest egg in small bowl while working to prevent rolling.
- Firmly press two rows of pink tiles into adhesive, placing tiles close together; add adhesive as needed. Cut tiles diagonally to fit spaces left in curves and at top and bottom.
- Firmly press row of blue tiles into adhesive around pink spiral; cut tiles to fit as needed. Fill in remaining areas with turquoise tiles, cutting as needed. Let egg dry completely.
- Put on rubber gloves. Following manufacturer's instructions, use spatula to apply grout to tiles, working grout into all gaps. As you work, remove excess grout from tiles with a damp sponge. Note: If using sanded grout, rinse tools in bucket, not sink; discard water outdoors.
- When egg is completely grouted, wipe away excess once more using damp sponge. Let egg dry completely. When dry, rub egg with clean rag to remove grout residue and restore shine.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.