By: Designed and Decorated by Cheryl Ball for ilovetocreate.com
Create accessories for the gardener in your life! Use stamps and paints to create designs that emulate your favorite flower or vegetable garden with this project from I Love to Create.
- Tulip® 3D Fashion Paint
- White, 65000
- Leaf Green, 65032
- Black, 65038
- Orange, 65049
- True Red, 65130
- Crab Apple, 65134
- Gold Metallics, 65408
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kits™
- # Aleene's® Platinum Bond™ 7800 All-Purpose Adhesive
- White or all natural apron
- Sponges, make-up wedges
- Assorted vegetables
- ¼ yard 100% cotton canvas fabric
- Corrugated cardboard
- Pinking shears
- Plastic garden shoes
- White chalk
- Plastic trash bags
- Paper towels
- Dowels: ¼” x 12” or scrap wood desired number for garden stakes
- Light color tote bag
- Cover work surface with trash bag. Wet apron, tote and fabric then wring dry. If desired, use spin cycle of washer. Place on work surface and crumple following tie-dye instruction sheet.
- Wearing gloves from kit, fill Lime dye bottle with water then shake until thoroughly mixed. Squeeze dye on apron, tote and fabric, turning and squeezing fabric to desired look.
Cover with plastic and let stand 4-6 hours. Fill washer with full load of water and a small amount of laundry soap. Wash pieces then dry in dryer or line dry. Iron smooth.
- Place tote and apron on work surface. Cut vegetable in half lengthwise as straight as possible. Place cut side down on several layers of paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Squeeze a puddle of 3-D Paint on foil. Tap flat end of sponge into paint then pounce an even coat on vegetable. Immediately stamp where desired. Hold vegetable in one hand then slip other hand under fabric and press from behind, this will ensure good detail.
- Stamp vegetables with the following colors: Onion – Stamp White detail with Gold Metallic. Beet - Stamp and detail with True Red and Leaf Green. Lettuce - Stamp with Crab Apple and Leaf Green detail with Leaf Green. Asparagus - Stamp and detail with Leaf Green. Bell Pepper - Stamp and detail with True Red, Orange and Leaf Green. Carrot - Stamp with Orange detail with Orange and Leaf Green. Artichoke - Stamp and detail with Leaf Green. Jalapeño Pepper - Stamp with Orange, True Red detail with True Red, Orange and Leaf Green. Let dry.
- Shoes: Use Orange to create carrot then use Leaf Green for leaves. Add equally spaced Black squares along top edge.
- Use chalk to lightly draw on desired lettering. Fill in with Black and let dry. Add squares of Black along top edge of pocket and apron. Let dry.
- Tote: Repeat steps for stamping vegetables then use white chalk to lightly draw on words. Add Black to words and wide stripes along top edge. Let dry.
- Garden Stakes: Stamp and detail desired vegetables on dyed fabric. Determine size then cut edges with pinking shears. Cut cardboard slightly smaller than fabric piece. Apply a thin even coat of adhesive to back of fabric. Press onto cardboard then smooth fabric to adhere. Glue dowel to back and let dry.