Looking at this topiary is the apple of my eye. Show off your decorative side using balls, blocks and cubes.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls: one 4"; four 1-1/2"
- Block, 12" x 10" x 1"
- Cube, 5"
- Acrylic paints: dark brown; off-white
- Natural stucco-finish paint
- Brown antiquing medium
- Artificial fruit: 2" lt. green apples, nine; 3" green apples, seven; 1-1/2" green pears, 29
- Bright green reindeer moss, one small bag
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Wooden items: one 7" and fifty 4" skewers; craft stick
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Palette knife or plastic knife
- Small disposable bowl
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Wire cutters
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: disposable gloves
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measure and mark a 6-1/4" square on foam block for base; cut out.
- Push one 4" skewer completely through one 1-1/2" foam ball, centering ball on skewer; glue to secure. Repeat with remaining 1-1/2" balls. Apply glue to one end of each skewer and insert into bottom corners of foam cube; foam balls should touch corners but extend slightly beyond as shown. Spot glue to secure; let dry.
- Apply glue to opposite ends of skewers and insert into 6-1/4" foam base, with cube centered on square. Push skewers through base until balls touch it; trim excess length at bottom of base. Spot glue balls to base to secure; let dry.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to prepare stucco paint, stirring with craft stick before use. If desired, put on disposable gloves. Use palette knife to cover all exposed foam surfaces; let dry for at least 12 hours.
- Apply light coat of off-white over stucco; let dry. Mix equal parts antiquing medium and dark brown acrylic in disposable bowl; apply light coat of this mixture over stucco. Use dry paper towel to remove excess paint while still wet.
- Glue 4" foam ball to center top of cube. Apply glue to 7" skewer and insert through center top of ball into cube. Spot glue top end of skewer to secure. Use glue gun to cover foam ball with small clumps of moss.
- Apply glue to one end of each 4" skewer and insert into each piece of fruit, alternating placement of skewers for more natural look.
- Refer to photo to insert largest apples into foam ball, trimming skewers as needed. Repeat with smaller apples. Fill gaps with pears. Reposition fruits as desired to create balanced design.
- When pleased with arrangement, remove fruit one by one and apply glue to skewer ends before re-inserting into foam. Fill gaps with small clumps of moss.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.